Urban Design & Development FAQs
Find answers to the most frequently asked questions for the Urban Design and Development Division.
What process do I follow for a zone change, sector development plan amendment, conditional use, etc?
- The Comprehensive Zoning Code, the Handbook of Land Development Procedures and the Development Process Manual contain information related to these questions. For specific inquiries or explanations of the process, call the Planning Department front counter at (505) 924-3895.
What is a Sector Development Plan?
- A Sector Development Plan typically covers an area with common characteristics, such as a neighborhood or corridor, and is the most detailed of City plans. A Sector Plan provides policy and regulatory guidance for development to ensure outcomes that are more predictable for the community and affected stakeholders, and supportive of the community’s goals for the area. Sector Development Plans include site-specific land use and zoning regulations, design guidelines, transportation and streetscape recommendations, and capital project priorities. Sector Plans have the ability to streamline the review and permitting process by setting detailed development parameters. Learn more about Sector Development Plans.
What is the Bike Locker Program that's mentioned in the Bikeways &Trails Facility Plan?
- The Bicycle Locker Program is intended to provide convenient locations for securely storing bicycles used for commuting to employment destinations, so that alternative modes of transportation can be locally supported and effectively promoted. Lockers are presently located close to various downtown government centers and adjacent to approximately 30 or more other public facilities and related private businesses scattered around the metropolitan Albuquerque area.This federally-funded program has existed for many years and is administered by the City’s Bicycle Coordinator within the Department of Municipal Development. Learn more about the Bike Locker Program as it relates to the Bikeways & Trails Facility Plan.
How do I apply for a special exception to the Comprehensive Zoning Code?
- Requests for special exceptions to the zoning code are heard by the Zoning Hearing Examiner. Applicants may find the application, instructions on how to complete the application, as well as details on filing deadlines on the Zoning Hearing Examiner's web page.
What are the fees for the various boards and commissions?
- To learn more about Planning Department fees, see our general fee schedule or speak with a Planning Department staff member.
I need someone to walk me through the City of Albuquerque's procedures for land development, who do I contact?
- The Planning Department has a Development Facilitator dedicated to assisting residents/developers with land use and land development matters. To contact our Development Facilitator, call (505) 924-3955 or email him at