Skip to main content

Building Safety & Permits FAQs

Below find answers to your Building Safety questions.

Do I need a permit for my project?

  • Building permits and inspections are required for commercial, public, private and residential new construction, additions and remodeling work.
  • As a general rule of thumb, the following common projects require a permit (this list is not all inclusive):
    • Installing an antenna
    • Putting in an elevator
    • Building a swimming Pool
    • Installing or raising walls, fences or retaining Walls
    • Relocation of existing buildings
    • Installing a patio covers or porch
    • Demolition
    • Installation of signs
    • Reworking your plumbing

How long does the permit process take?

Plan review typically takes approximately two and a half weeks for residential and three and a half weeks for commercial projects depending on the size and complexity.  The permit will be issued when approved by each division.

Is there a way to submit a plan or permit request online?

Yes, you can participate in the ePlan program which allows you to submit plans and applications online along with supporting documentation.

How much does a permit/plan review cost?

What is FasTrax, and how much does it cost?

  • FasTrax is an optional expedited plan review program that guarantees initial plan review completion by a specified date.
  • The fee for this expedited service is three times the cost for standard plan review excluding the zoning and hydrology fees.

Can I track the status of my plans and view comments online?

You may check the status of your plans or view comments online using the plan review number which starts with a "T."

What happens if I build without a permit?

Whenever any work is done without a permit, when one is required, a stop work order will be issued. A notification letter is then issued and the owner is given 30-45 days to comply. If compliance is not met a final notification letter will be sent giving the owner 10 days to comply. If compliance is still not met, a pre-criminal summons is issued and the owner is given 10 business days to comply before facing court action.

How can I find out if a certain address has a permit for construction?

  • If a building permit has been obtained, it should be posted so it is clearly visible from the front of the house or commercial project. If you do not see that, you may contact the Building Safety Division for further information.
    • Building Permits: 505-924-3969
    • Electrical Permits: 505-924-3311
    • Mechanical Permits: 505-924-3320

I believe a contractor is building without a permit or not building to code. What should I do?

You may file a complaint with the Building Safety Division at 505-924-3319. All information is confidential. Just the address and a brief description of the work being done are required .

Which building codes are being used by the City of Albuquerque?

State, National and City codes are all available on the Current Building Codes page. In addition, the International Codes can be ordered on the International Code Council site and the Uniform Codes can be ordered on the National Fire Protection Association website. The National Electrical Code is available on both of the above referenced websites.

Does the City have plans for my house on file?

Effective August 2012, the City began to scan residential home plans. If your home was built after Aug. 1, 2012 then we will have plan on file at the Planning Department. If it was built prior to Aug. 1, 2012, then we do not have copies of your home plans.

I have an inspection question. Who can help me?

To ask an inspection related question, you may call the Planning Department's Building Safety Division at 505-924-3320.

I want to schedule an inspection. What do I do?

  • If you are homeowner working with a contractor, and would like to schedule an inspection, we ask that you work with your contractor to have them contact our office to get that scheduled. If the contractor has pulled the permit, they are required to schedule the inspection. Therefore, our offices typically work with the contractor to schedule inspections and not the property owner.
  • If you are a contractor who needs to schedule an inspection, please call the Planning Department's Building Safety Division at 505-924-3320 to get that scheduled. In addition, contractors who utilize the online services system for their permitting and applications may submit an inspection request through that software.
  • If you are a homeowner who has pulled a homeowner's construction permit and you need to schedule an inspection, please call the Planning Department's Building Safety Division at 505-924-3320 to get that scheduled.

How do I obtain a Contractor's License?

For information related to how to go about obtaining a Contractor's License, please visit the State of New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department.

How do I search for permits and applications (both for commercial or residential projects) from the Building Safety Division?

You may do a free online permit and application search from any computer of mobile device, 24 hours a day, seven days a week at our Building Safety Forms, Reports & Permit Search page. You may also find a full listing of all current applications and inspection reports via our Open Data site.

How do I get a copy of a specific document (COO, Plans, etc) housed within the Building Safety Division?

Requesting a copy of any document housed within the Building Safety Division is considered a public records request. You may submit your request, including exact address, necessary date range and description for the type of document online at the City Clerk's Office.

I'm getting an error message when I try to pay online for my application/permit. What do I do?

  • It has come to our attention, that some customers may experience technical difficulties completing the payment process for their applications or permits online. If you experience issues while making a payment, you may see an error message like the one below. Our IT team is working on correcting this error. We appreciate your patience while we work out a solution to the issue.   A screen capture of an error message that could show up when making a payment through the Planning Online Services System.

  • If this happens to you, please do the following:

    • Contact the City of Albuquerque Planning Department and be prepared to provide the permit/registration number and the approximate time of when the transaction was attempted. Building Safety Division: 505-924-3320, Code Enforcement/Zoning: 505-924-3450 or Business Registration: 505-924-3890.

    • DO NOT ATTEMPT THE TRANSACTION AGAIN OR HIT THE SUBMIT BUTTON MORE THAN ONCE. Doing so will likely result in your credit card being charged twice for the same transaction.

My credit card payment failed online. What did I do wrong?

If your credit card payment fails, please check the address information you entered on the payment acceptance site matches the address where you receive your billing or account statements.  If the address does not match, your transaction will fail.