Skip to main content


Permits are an official approval issued by the City of Albuquerque. Permits allow a homeowner or contractor to proceed with a new construction or property remodeling project or ensures a project is completed in compliance with the code requirements set forth and followed by the City of Albuquerque.

Generic image of construction related items.


Please call to schedule an appointment if you need individual attention.

Building Permits & Plan Review
Plaza Del Sol
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday

Building Inspections, Electrical Inspections, Plumbing Inspections, Mechanical Inspections & Trade Permits
Plaza Del Sol
7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday

Division Manager, James Perez

Code Enforcement & Zoning Permits
[email protected]

Development Review Services Division

Apply for or Check the Status of a Building Permit

Permit Process

The first step is submitting an application and all required documents for the correct permit. Once the permit has been submitted, it goes through a series of steps to ensure the project will be completed in accordance with adopted codes and ordinances. 

View the flowcharts below to show the steps of each permit type. Commercial developments may have additional requirements and may require a site plan approval. 

Homeowner Building Permit Process | Homeowner Trade Permit Process | Contractor Building Permit Process | Contractor Trade Permit Process

Types of Permits

There is more than one type of permit so it is important to know what permit(s) are needed. View the types of permits required by the City of Albuquerque and examples.

Building Permit

The following projects also require a building permit:

  • Walls and fences over six (6) feet high (under six (6) feet, a permit from the Zoning Counter is required)
  • Re-Roofing – general permits are required for re-roof
  • PV Solar System
  • Additions

Electrical Permit

The following projects require an electrical permit:

  • Installation of an appliance, device, equipment or wiring
  • Additions, alterations, or replacements in existing appliances, devices, wiring or equipment

Plumbing/Mechanical Permit

The following projects require a plumbing/mechanical permit:

  • Heating or cooling
  • Installation of exhaust hood
  • Installation or alteration of bathroom or kitchen piping
  • Installation of equipment or ductwork (work can only be completed by a licensed contractor)
  • Installation or alteration of house sewer or water service outside of structure
  • Installation of a water heater (work can only be completed by a licensed contractor)

How to Obtain a Permit

Licensed contractors or homeowners must request permits for the work that will be performed. It is the responsibility of the homeowner or contractor to ensure that all required permits have been obtained before beginning work.

Homeowners or contractors can apply for a permit, submit applications, upload plans, review comments, make payments, and track your applications:

  • Online - with no need to visit our offices.
  • In-person - with the help of a Permit Technician.

Online Building & Trade Permits

Applying online for a building or construction trade permit is fast and easy.

Apply online for:

  • New building permits
  • Electrical permits
  • Plumbing and mechanical permits
  • Renovation permits
  • Demolition permits
  • And much more!

Apply for or Check the Status of a Building Permit

Search for a Building Permit by Address, Permit Number, Contractor, Date, or Project Name

Steps For Using the Online System For the Building Safety Division

Note: We strongly encourage you to use Microsoft Edge as your web browser when using this website.

  1. First-time users need to obtain a unique ID number.
  • Get your unique ID number by either visiting our offices at 600 2nd St NW or by calling 505-924-3320.
  • Contractors are required to visit the Building Safety Division, in person, to provide credentials.
  • For a mechanical, electrical, or plumbing permit, you may contact the Building Safety Division for assistance.
  • Once you have your unique ID number, register on the the Online Building Safety Permit System using your email address.
  • Fill out all required fields.
  • Upload required documents.
  • Pay applicable fees online.
  • Track the progress of your application using the online system.
  • Who Is Required to Obtain a Permit

    Homeowners Performing the Work

    If your home is in a subdivision with a homeowners’ association (HOA), all plans should be approved by the association before applying to the City for a building permit. The City does not enforce HOA regulations. Homeowners are responsible to know and follow any HOA requirements or restrictions.

    Contractors Performing the Work

    For all homes leased or rented to others, a licensed contractor is required to obtain a permit, for work performed.

    Electrical Permits and Plumbing/Mechanical Permits for Homeowners and Contractors

    An electrical or plumbing permit may be issued to a homeowner who successfully completes a written plumbing and/or electrical exam with a score of 75% or greater. If a homeowner cannot obtain the required score, a contractor will be required to request a permit for the work that will be performed.

    • Homeowners will be allowed four (4) hours to complete each exam.
    • Homeowners who do not pass the exam on the first attempt, can retake the exam 30 days later. Only two attempts to pass the exam.
    • Homeowners are only allowed one passing exam a year.
    • A permit will be issued to the homeowner immediately after passing the exam.

    Permit Cancellation & Stop Work Requests

    Permits can only be cancelled by the permit owner. The permit owner is the person(s) who applied for and pulled the permit, either the hired contractor or the homeowner. If the homeowner is not the permit owner and wishes for the contractor permit owner to stop working at the location, a Stop Work Request can be requested. For more information on a Stop Work Request or a Permit Cancellation Request, contact the Building Safety Division at 505-924-3320.

    Permit Cancellation

    This form can only be used by contractors/permit owners who wish to cancel a permit.

    Permit Cancellation Request Form

    Stop Work

    This form can only be used by homeowners who wish to stop a contractor from working in their home. A notarized document is required for a Stop Work Request or Permit Cancellation Request.

    Stop Work Request Form