West Mesa Open Space
However, large tracts adjacent to the Monument remain under the sole
management of the City. The 4,200 acre parcel of land is predominantly north and east of the volcanoes and preserves vast expanses of mesa-top lava flows, small volcanic features, archaeological sites, arroyo courses and wide vistas.
The Mesa Grasslands Preserve consists of over 3,800 acres west of the volcanoes in the Rio Puerco Valley. This area provides valuable habitat for certain plant and wildlife including an open range for herds of pronghorn antelope
The West Mesa Open Space contains the following areas:
- Petroglyph National Monument contains a number of areas of cultural and geologic importance.
- Grasslands Preserve is undeveloped and closed to the public.
- Paseo de la Mesa Multi-Use Trail. Take a ride or a stroll on a new addition to the West Mesa trails network!
- Shooting Range State Park is a fee area for target shooting.
- Boca Negra Horseman's Complex
- George J. Maloof Memorial Air Park