What you need to know before you post that sign
Sign Regulations Within Albuquerque
Here's some important, basic information you need to know about posting signs in the City of Albuquerque. Various departments throughout the City are responsible for the collection and removal of illegal signs:
§ 9-8-20 Posting Notice Prohibited
- No person shall post, place or affix or cause to be posted, placed or affixed any commercial handbill, sign, notice, poster or other paper or device calculated to attract the attention of the public at any lamp post, public utility pole, street median, public right-of-way, or shade tree, or upon any public structure or building, except as may be authorized or required by law. This provision shall not apply to signs relating to matters of public health, safety and welfare posted, placed, or affixed by the city. ('74 Code, § 6-15-20) (Ord. 4-1992; Am. Ord. 25-2005)
- Illegal signs improperly attached to traffic signals, utility poles, are confiscated by the Department of Municipal Development - or call 505-768-3832.
- Illegal signs located within non-landscaped street medians are removed by the Solid Waste Management Department or call 505-761-8100.
- Illegal signs placed within landscaped medians or street-scapes within the City are disposed of by the Parks & Recreation Department or call 505-768-5353.
- Illegal signs placed on private property will be handled by the Code Enforcement Division of the Planning Department or call 505-924-3850.
- If you are the owner of illegally placed "professional" signs within the public right-of-way, including political signs, real estate signs, and similar advertisements, that have been picked up by the City of Albuquerque, those signs will be stored for a temporary period (not to exceed 60 days), in a designated 40-yard trash bin located at the City of Albuquerque, Pino Yards facility at 5501 Pino Avenue NE, Albuquerque NM 87109. Individuals will have an opportunity to retrieve their signs (between 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., M - F) before the bin is removed, provided they present a photo ID and check in at the guard station. Call 505-857-8660 for more information on retrieving confiscated signs.
- For further information on proper sign placement and permitting, please refer to the Comprehensive City Zoning Code and/or our Political Sign Regulations.
- To report illegal signs, please call the Citizen Contact Center at 311.