Wireless Telecommunication Facilities
In 2008, the City adopted the current wireless telecommunications facilities regulations, which require concealment, or “Stealth Technology,” in the siting of all new wireless telecommunications facilities, except for collocations on an existing structure.
A concealed wireless telecommunications facility is defined as: A wireless telecommunications facility which is architecturally integrated with existing buildings, structures and landscaping, including height, color, style, massing, placement, design and shape, and which does not stand out as a wireless telecommunications facility when viewed with the naked eye.
The ordinance also establishes the basic requirements that apply to all wireless telecommunications facilities in all zones, and the application requirements, which are set forth in Section 14-16-3-17(A) of the Zoning Code.
Applications for wireless telecommunications facilities are subject to an application fee of $3,000 for new facilities. Five application forms must be completed. Additionally, the application review checklist that staff uses is included below for informational purposes.
Forms & Checklists
- Development/Plan Review Application
- Form P(6)
- Developer Inquiry Sheet – Office of Neighborhood Coordination
- Supplemental Application Form
- Checklist to Determine Whether a Facility is Categorically Excluded (Appendix A - page 16)
- Staff Application Review Checklist
- Creating Buffer Maps in AGIS
Collocation & Equipment Swap-Out
Applications for wireless telecommunications facilities collocations are subject to an application fee of $2,000. Swap-outs are subject to building permit plan check fees, the cost will vary. Please contact building and safety for an estimate. Applications are reviewed by code enforcement staff at the zoning front counter, ground floor of the Planning Department.
Please be aware that all proposed wireless telecommunications facilities, including collocations on existing structures, are required to be reviewed and approved by either the Urban Design & Development Division or the Code Enforcement Division. All facilities must comply with the wireless telecommunications regulations found in Zoning Code §14-16-3-17.
- Reviewed by Urban Design & Development: Any new, concealed wireless telecommunications facilities; all sites zoned SU-1, IP, SC; collocations on concealed facilities regardless of zoning; collocations on non-concealed facilities on sites zoned SU-1, IP, SC.
- Reviewed by Code Enforcement: All collocations on non-concealed wireless telecommunications facilities on “straight zoned” sites; equipment swap-outs that do not affect the concealment of a facility or on existing non-concealed facilities.
For questions about new facilities and collocations on concealed facilities, call (505) 924-3935 or (505) 924-3910.
For questions about collocations on non-concealed facilities, contact our zoning section at (505) 924-3857.