Volunteering at the BioPark
The volunteers of ABQ BioPark Education make many programs at the BioPark possible. Education could not carry out its mission of teaching about life and encouraging conservation without the generous work of volunteers.
Apply to be a Volunteer
No specialized knowledge is necessary to become a volunteer. BioPark staff will teach you everything you need to know in the training sessions. We ask that you bring your enthusiasm, a commitment to conservation, a sense of responsibility and patience. Experienced volunteers and staff are available to assist you after training, and monthly volunteer meetings keep you up to date. Find upcoming training dates.
Benefits vary with positions, but generally include free admission to all BioPark facilities (the zoo, aquarium and botanic garden) during regular daytime hours and discounts at the food and gift concessions.
Volunteer jobs are for ages 18 and older, unless otherwise noted.
- BioVan Rangers: Teach about the Rio Grande with the BioVan outreach program.
- Conservation Camp Counselors: Assist Camp BioPark teachers during week-long summer programs. (16+)
- Docent: Inspire guests with the amazing diversity of life and encourage everyday conservation.
- Garden Railroader: Help run the Botanic Garden's G-scale model trains. All aboard!
- Greeters: Welcome guests to the Zoo, Aquarium and Botanic Garden.
- Horticulture Volunteers: Dig in alongside horticulture staff and care for gardens throughout the BioPark.
- Nature Guides: Share the fascinating world of animals and plants with guests through discovery stations at the Zoo, Aquarium and Botanic Garden. Inspire them to help care for the Earth! (14+)
- Touchpool Volunteers: Help guests get hands-on at the Aquarium's touchpools.
- Student Volunteers: Get hands-on experience in conservation education working alongside education staff. (16+)
Offer Aquarium visitors a hands-on learning experience
Help tend the plants and garden railroad at the Botanic Garden.
Join the BioPark's Welcoming Team
Take the BioPark's educational programs on the road!
Volunteer at the Zoo, Aquarium, Botanic Garden or Tingley Beach.
Teen volunteers can help facilitate the BioPark's summer camps