Skip to main content


Frequently asked questions about fire inspections, smoke alarms, extinguishers, fire ordinances and hazardous materials.

Business Fire Inspections

How does an existing or new business owner request a fire inspection?

Typically existing building and businesses are inspected for the following reasons:

  • New or Annual Permit Inspection.
  • Complaints
  • Referrals; and
  • Requests for inspection

Call our Fire Marshal's Office at (505) 764-6300 to make an appointment

If you need a Fire Department Certificate of Occupancy Inspection for you new building, addition or remodel you can contact (505) 924-3611

Residential Smoke Alarms, Carbon Monoxide Detectors and Fire Extinguishers

How many smoke alarms do I need in my home?

  • One on the ceiling or wall outside each sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of bedrooms, 4 to 12 inches from ceiling or wall.
  • In each room used for sleeping purposes.
  • One each story within a dwelling unit, including basements.

How often should I test the detector and change the batteries?

Detectors should be tested monthly. New batteries installed a minimum of once a year.

Should I install a Carbon Monoxide Detector (CO) in my home?

  • Although the City's Fire Code does not require a Carbon Monoxide Detector be installed in residences or other occupancies, it is strongly recommended.
  • Install CO Detectors in hallways near sleeping areas of the home.

How do I replace, refill or dispose of my fire extinguisher?

Search for fire extinguishers in the yellow pages to find a company that can assist you.

Note: Albuquerque Fire Rescue doesn't replace, refill or dispose fire extinguishers.

Fire Ordinance

Can I obtain a copy of the Fire Ordinance?

Yes. There are three ways to obtain this Ordinance:

  1. Pick up a copy at the City Clerks Office, 600 2nd NW
  2. Pick up a copy at the Fire Marshal's Office, 724 Sliver Ave. SW

Smoke Detector Ordinance

Can I obtain a copy of the Smoke Detector Ordinance?

Yes. There are three ways to obtain this Ordinance:

  1. Pick up a copy at the City Clerks Office One Civic Plaza (City Hall Basement)
  2. Pick up a copy at the Fire Marshal's Office (724 Sliver Ave. SW)
  3. Download a copy from the Fire Marshal's webpage.


How to obtain a knox box?

Call our Plans Checking Office at (505) 924-3611.

How do I obtain a copy of an EMS or fire incident report?

Records Management has moved to 7520 Corona Ave NE, 87113. Business hours are Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The number is 505-764-6333

How do I become a fire fighter with the Albuquerque Fire Rescue?

Visit the Become a Firefighter section of and the information will be listed.

How do I make an appointment to get my child's car seat properly fitted in my vehicle?

If you would like to make an appointment at a fitting station in your community, please call Safer NM at 1-800-231-6145 or visit

When should you call 911?

Dial 911 in the event of an emergency only!

When someone is badly hurt or suddenly sick and in danger, call 911 immediately. Call when someone's life is threatened, when someone faints or collapses, has persistent chest pain or difficulty breathing or is badly injured.