II. Goals for The Public Art Program
In developing the Public Art Collection of the City of Albuquerque, the Albuquerque Arts Board and the Administration of the City have established these goals to guide the Board, staff of the Public Art Program and the City:
- The Program will develop public art projects which enhance the urban environment of public spaces as well as the visual design form and content of the city; which enhance a particular community; and, which may enhance the tourist and economic potential of Albuquerque and particular sites within the community.
- The Public Art Collection will reflect the diverse spectrum of beliefs, cultural heritage and traditions, and artistic expressions of Albuquerque and New Mexico.
- The Public Art Collection will include Works of Art representing a broad variety of media and styles and support community interests in having an aesthetically enhanced environment.
- The Program will adhere to all federal, state and local laws related to inclusion and non-discrimination.
- The Program will identify and pursue additional sources of funds and donations of Works of Art to the City of Albuquerque.
- The Program will inform the public regarding public art including opportunities for public participation in all phases of the public art process.
- The Program will promote the visual arts of Albuquerque and New Mexico and, inform and work to increase understanding within the community about the purposes and meaning of the Works of Art in the Collection through art outreach education, media and social events.
- The Program will document, maintain and conserve Works of Art in the Collection, regardless of the source of acquisition, and make the Collection available to the public through a variety of media.
- The Program will develop opportunities for local artists through participation in Albuquerque Public Art Program workshops and educational events.
- The Program will work with other organizations to promote the arts.