Translate Our Site

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to the most commonly asked questions.

How do I report graffiti?

To report graffiti, call the Citizen Contact Center at 311 (or 505-768-2000).

You may use the ABQ311 application to report Graffiti online.

To report graffiti vandals in action and their license plate number(s), call the Albuquerque Police Department Hotline at 242-COPS (2677). Once reported, graffiti removal crews will respond within 24 hours and remove or paint over the graffiti.

How do I report littering or illegal dumping?

To report litter on public streets or public property, report using the ABQ311 or call (505) 768-3867.

If you would like to report litter and weeds on private property, contact the Zoning Department, Weed & Litter Inspectors at (505) 924-3850 or 924-3450.

What are the convenience center hours?

Albuquerque residents can take trash to one of three public drop-off locations, known as Convenience Centers, within the city. Check the Trash Drop-Off page for hours.

I have questions regarding the Solid Waste portion of my monthly utility bill.

Even though the water, waste water, and refuse are billed on the same bill, you will need to call Solid Waste at 761-8100 to address questions concerning your refuse pickup and charges. The Solid Waste portion of your monthly bill is incorporated into the consolidated billed to save rate payers and the City's cost of mailing. For a breakdown of your residential bill click here: Residential Collection & Disposal Rates

What do I do with household hazardous waste, such as paint, cleaning products or motor oil?

Residential Customers:
Hazardous waste is prohibited at the City Landfill. Do not throw hazardous waste in your rollout cart. Hazardous waste, which includes paints, insecticides, automotive products, solvents and some cleaners, must be brought to the Household Hazardous Waste collection center, ACT (Advanced Chemical Transport) at 6137 Edith Blvd. NE. between Montano and Osuna on the west side of the street. Hours of operation are Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays, 8 a.m.- 3 p.m.; closed holidays. Call ACT Hotline at 349-5220 for more information. This service is free to residents only.

Commercial Customers:
Call Solid Waste Management Department at 761-8300.

How do I report a missed garbage pickup?

If your trash or recyclables are not picked up on your regular collection day, call the 311. Pick-up will be made within 24 hours or on the next business day. For example, if you report a missed pickup on Friday, your trash will be picked up on Monday, which is the next working day.

Please make sure the customer did not overfill their roll-out cart or put something in that caused the roll-out cart to weigh more than 150 lbs. Also make sure that their container is at least 5 ft. away from any obstruction. If their garbage collection was missed, it could be due to one of the following:

  • Cart must be placed out at the curb no later than 7:00 a.m. on your pick-up day
  • Do not overfill your container. Make sure that the lid can be shut with ease
  • Maximum capacity cannot exceed 150 lbs. or it cannot be serviced.
  • Place your cart 5 ft away from all obstructions (cars, poles, recyclables, additional containers, etc…) or the driver cannot service the container.
  • NO hazardous waste, NO construction material, NO ashes, NO concrete, NO rocks, NO gravel, or like material.

How do I set up refuse service for my business?

Commercial services are tailored to your company based on the amount of trash it generates and the size/accessibility of your container. Call (505) 761-8138 to arrange a visit by a customer service representative to setup or change garbage collection service for your business or apartment complex.

Why did you charge me extra for my refuse pick up this month ?

Call Solid Waste Billing at 761-8138 to review your account.

Even though the water, waste water and refuse are billed on the same bill, you will need to call Solid Waste at (505) 761-8100 to address questions concerning your refuse pickup and charges. The Solid Waste portion of your monthly bill is incorporated into the consolidated billed to save rate payers and the City cost of mailing.

How do I dispose of a large item?

For Residential Customers ONLY:
Large items like air conditioners, stoves, dishwashers, washing machines and dryers, water heaters, lawn mowers, doors, sinks, toilets, mattresses, furniture and televisions can be picked up at no charge for Solid Waste Management Department residential customers only. (Please note that there is a $59.31 fee to collect extra bags of garbage.)

Call 311 one day before your regular trash collection day to schedule a pick-up.

You may also take your large items to one of our three convenience centers.

Commercial Customers:
Commercial customers must pay $59.31. If you have large items or excess trash, you can make arrangements with the department to pick it up for an additional $59.31.  Additional charges will apply if service requires additional staff time and equipment. Call your 311 to schedule a pick up.

What do I do if I am physically unable to roll out my trash container to the curb?

Solid Waste Management will provide assistance with roll-out carts and recycling collection for disabled or elderly residents. For disability assistance, mail or fax a note from your doctor expressing that you are unable to roll out your container and also include the following information: your name, phone number and address.

Mail to:
Solid Waste Management Department
Attn: Residential
4600 Edith NE
Albuquerque, NM 87107

FAX to:
(505) 761-8187

More information about Solid Waste's Services for the Disabled

Where does the recycling go after it is collected?

After we collect material from your curb we send it to Friedman Recycling for processing and shipment to appropriate site for reuse or re-manufacturing.

Who do I contact to schedule a tour of the Friedman facility?

To schedule a tour call Keep Albuquerque Beautiful at 761-8334

When are my garbage and recycling pick-up days?

The curbside garbage and recycling pick-up day varies across residential areas in the city, but both services are provided on the same day. To find out the collection schedule for your neighborhood, call Residential Services at (505) 761-8100.

How do I set up refuse and recycling service for my home?

If you live within the Albuquerque city limits, call the Solid Waste Management Billing Section at (505) 761-8100 to set up refuse service. You may also place a request for service using our online form.

What are Solid Waste Management's requirements for putting out my residential garbage, recycling, and yard waste?

See Residential Collection and Recycling.

Why did I get a fuel surcharge on my bill?

There was not a rate increase on Solid Waste services; however, there is an approved fuel surcharge.

An ordinance was recently passed to apply a fuel surcharge to all refuse billings in order to compensate for the rising price of fuel. The surcharge goes into effect only when the cost of fuel exceeds $2.30 per gallon. The amount of the surcharge is based on the Solid Waste Department's fuel cost for each month. For further information please call (505) 761-8100.

What can I do if my trash cart is lost or damaged?

For replacement of damaged, lost, or stolen trash carts, call 311. Replacement will be made free of charge for the first occurrence unless a cart is lost or damaged through customer negligence. Each Additional replacement will cost $54.18. Roll-out carts have a specific number that is assigned to each address. Your cart will be delivered or repaired within 5 working days of your request.

Where do I get my trash and recycling bags?

Solid Waste Management Department will no longer sell trash or recycling bags as of January 31, 2014.

Where can I dispose of my old paint and other hazardous materials?

Find out how hazardous household wastes such as batteries, gasoline, paint, poisons, and cleaning agents can be disposed of safely by calling the Household Hazardous Waste Hotline at (505) 349-5220. This service is provided to RESIDENTS ONLY

How do I dispose of used motor oil?

Collect your used oil in a clean, clear, dry plastic gallon jug and take it to one of the many collection points within the Albuquerque/Bernalillo County area. Many lube/oil change outlets, auto parts stores, and service stations accept used oil, as well as anti-freeze. For more information, call the Solid Waste Management Department at (505) 761-8300. Customers may also call the Household Hazardous Waste Hotline at (505) 349-5220. This service is provided to residents only.

What are the dead animal pick-up procedures?

Placing dead animals in your trash cart or bag is prohibited. For information on how to dispose of dead animals, call the Albuquerque Environmental Health Department, Animal Control Division at (505) 768-1975.

What materials are collected curbside for recycling?



Junk Mail

Office Paper

Corrugated Cardboard

Cereal/Cracker Boxes

Milk and Juice Boxes

Phone Books


Brown Paper Bags

Paper Egg Cartons


#1 - #7 Plastics Bottle/Tubs

Rigid Plastic Toys/Hampers


Aluminum Cans

Tin Cans

Foil & Pie Pans

Small Electronics

Pots & Pans

Small Appliances

See Recycling for more information.

Can I recycle my magazines and junk mail?

Yes. These are collected curbside along with other paper waste and accepted at our recycling drop-off sites.

I live in an apartment. How can I recycle my glass and other materials?

Apartment complexes with 25 or more units are part of the MFD Recycling program.  Call your property manager for information on where they keep the recycle bins at your complex.  In addition, the Solid Waste Management Department maintains 24-hour recycling drop-off and waste disposal sites throughout the city for glass (all colors), paper, tin, aluminum, plastic bottles and containers with openings smaller than the base or widest part, and corrugated cardboard. Find the recycling drop-off site nearest you.

Where can I recycle motor oil, Styrofoam, construction materials, and other items not collected by the city?

See our guide for commercial and nonresidential recycling.

How can I recycle my phone books?

You may recycle your phone books in your blue recycling cart from your curb.

My office throws a lot of paper away. How can we recycle it?

Call the Solid Waste Management Department at (505) 761-8100 for information on recycling clean office paper and other materials at commercial businesses.

What type of plastics can be recycled?

Plastics #1 -#7 and rigid plastic (toys/ small hampers).

Why should I recycle, anyway?

Recycling helps the economy and the environment by promoting economic development and employment, conserving natural resources, and reducing pollution. More information on recycling...

Can residential customers rent large open top dumpsters?

Please call 761-8138 for a quote.

How do I get my bin enclosure inspected?

Call 311 to request a Solid Waste Management Department Code Enforcer to perform a bin inspection.

How can I retrieve an item that I accidently threw away in my trash or recycling cart?

If you notice that your item has been lost within four (4) hours of service call 761-8138 for assistance.

I would like to check the status of my employment application.

You may call the Central Human Resources department at 768-3700 to find out the status of your application.

How can I adopt a median?

If you or your group is interested in adopting a median please call Keep Albuquerque Beautiful at 761-8334.