Protect your child online.
Guidelines for Parents
- Make it a family rule to never give out identifying information—home address, school name or telephone number—on public chat Web Sites or bulletin boards; and be sure you're dealing with someone that both you and your child know and trust before giving out this information via e-mail.
- Get to know the Internet and any services your child uses.
- Never allow a child to arrange a face-to-face meeting with another computer user without parental permission and supervision.
- Never respond to messages or bulletin board items that are suggestive, obscene, belligerent, threatening or make you feel uncomfortable.
- Encourage your children to tell you if they encounter such messages.
- Talk with your children about what they can and cannot do online.
- Check out blocking, filtering and ratings. Realize that filtering programs can't protect your child from all dangers in cyberspace. Filtering programs are not a substitute for good judgment or critical thinking. With or without filters, kids and their parents need to be Internet savvy.
- Consider keeping the computer in a family room rather than a child's bedroom.
- Get to know your children's online friends just as you get to know all of their other friends.
If You Suspect a Crime
- Albuquerque Police Department's Child Exploitation Detail @ 761-4060
- 24-hour child pornography tip line, (800) 843-5678 and Cyber Tipline, Cybertipline, maintained by the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.
- U.S. Customs Service Investigates the importation and trafficking of child pornography. Its jurisdiction includes smuggling via the Internet, (800) 232-5378.
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, Alexandria, VA, (800) 843-5678.
- Office for Victims of Crime, U.S. Department of Justice, (202) 616-3585 or at
- National Coalition for the Protection of Children & Families, Pure Hope
- Privacy Rights "Children in Cyberspace" fact sheet.
- Cyber Angels includes "Internet 101, Understanding Cyberspace.
APD Crime Prevention 924-3600