Translate Our Site

Right-of-Way Activities & Permit Applications

Apply for a permit, or understand how to submit an application as a new/returning contractor.

Office Location

Address and contact information

Application Help Sheet

-Word Format

The Construction Coordination Section of the Construction Services Division organizes most activities conducted in public right-of-way, including issuing excavation/barricade permits, inspecting all barricaded sites, and distributing traffic bulletins to media outlets.

Please see our Permitting Process page to determine what type of closure you need before submitting an application.


Click your desired format from the options below to download an application form:

  • Barricade/Excavation Permit Application      MS Word  PDF
  • Dumpster/Storage Pod Permit Application   MS Word  /  PDF
  • Block Party Permit Application                        MS Word  /  PDF


Please note, all applications must be submitted at least five (5) business days prior to your anticipated start date.

Also, please review our permit fees for estimating a general fee.

(If your company/business regularly submits applications with the City, you may be interested in direct application submission. For more information, please contact our office at 505-924-3400.)

Barricades and Barricade Companies

If your activity requires barricades, please refer to our Barricade Company List. These companies can be hired to coordinate traffic, rent individual barricades, and section off roads, sidewalk, and public paths for your activity in question.

Please note any activity altering or interfering right-of-way traffic (be it pedestrian or vehicular,) must be properly barricaded by certified individuals. If you aren't sure what type of barricading your activity requires, please contact our office.

Application Procedure for Contractors

Depending on your right-of-way activity, the Construction Services Division may require additional documentation or licensing before issuing a permit. These items may be proof of licensing, or certain bonds and certificates. Please review the Procedure to Obtain Permits (in the document below), and obtain the necessary bonds/licenses prior to submitting your application.

If you are unsure what documents you may need, please contact the Construction Services Division at 505-924-3400.

  • Contractor Procedures to Obtain Permits                MS Word  /  PDF


  • Contractor's Sidewalk, Curb, and Gutter Bond       MS Word  /  PDF
  • Contractor's Excavation Bond                                  MS Word  /  PDF
  • Contractor's Affidavit Form                                       MS Word  /  PDF
  • Water Tapping Bond                                                  MS Word  /  PDF