Skip to main content

Barricade/Excavation Permitting Process

Barricading and excavation permits differ based on where you plan to occupy the right-of-way. Please review the information provided to determine what type of closure you should obtain.

Checklist to Obtain a Barricade/Excavation Permit:

  1. will you be impacting public right-of-way? (please see information below.)
  2. Does the area in question have low-speed (<25mph) or high-speed roads (≥ 30mph)?
  3. Did you submit your application (and necessary attachments) at least fourteen (14) calendar days in advance?

What is Public Right-of-Way?

Any area used for transportation purposes is considered public right-of-way, and most right-of-way zones areExamples of public right-of-way. established between private property boundaries. Examples of public right-of-ways include:

  • Highways
  • Streets (paved and unpaved)
  • Bike lanes
  • Sidewalk
  • Multi-use paths
  • Rail transport
  • Canals
  • Street shoulders
  • Public Utilities

If your activity is beyond the property line, you do not need to obtain a right-of-way permit. (Keep in mind, you may still need to apply with other City departments, such as Planning, before proceeding.)

Low vs High-Speed Roadways

Low-speed roads have speed limits less than 25 miles per hour: High-speed roads have speed limits greater-than or equal to 30 miles per hour.

  • All high-speed roadways must have a Traffic Control Plan submitted with the application.
  • Low speed roads do not require a traffic control plan submitted.
  • Sidewalks and/or multi-use paths (bike trails, etc.) do not require a traffic control plan submitted if said paths are the solitary right-of-way being affected (no accompanying road closures).

What is a Traffic Control Plan (TCP)?

TCPs are diagrams illustrating how a public path or road will be temporarily impacted and/or excavated, and helps keep pedestrian/vehicular traffic, construction crews, and property safe.

  • All TCPs must be drawn by a traffic control supervisor, design specialist, or professional engineer.
  • Template plans (from either MUTCD, or the City Example Standard Drawings) may only be used by licensed individuals if their setup does not deviate from the example plan.

Submit the Application and Necessary Attachments

Completed applications (and accompanying attachments) must be submitted to [email protected] at least fourteen (14) calendar days prior to your anticipated start date.  We ask for this time to schedule inspections, coordinate with internal/independent teams, and notify the public.

Emergencies and Short-Duration Work (Public Utility Owners Only)

  • Public utility owners (water, gas, electric, sewer, communications) are allowed to resolve emergencies without an approved permit, ONLY if  Construction Coordination is notified within 24 hours.
  • Public utility owners are not required to obtain a permit for short-duration work (less than 1 hour).
  • a MUTCD-compliant traffic control setup is required for ALL activities, regardless if said work is short-duration, emergency, or scheduled.


City Ordinance 6-5-2 Street Excavation and Barricading

City Ordinance 8-2-1-62 Public Utility Obstruction Traffic