Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to the most commonly asked questions.

How do I report graffiti?

Report online with the graffiti form on this website or contact ABQ311 by calling 311 (505-768-2000) or on the ABQ311 mobile app.

To report graffiti vandals in action and their license plate number(s), call the Albuquerque Police Department Hotline at 242-COPS (2677).

Once reported, graffiti removal crews will respond within 24 hours and remove or paint over the graffiti.

How do I report littering or illegal dumping?

Report weeds and litter on public streets or public property online with the weeds and litter form on this website or contact ABQ311 by calling 311 (505-768-2000) or on the ABQ311 mobile app.

If you would like to report litter and weeds on private property, contact the Zoning Department, Weed & Litter Inspectors at 505-924-3850 or 924-3450.

What are the convenience center hours?

Albuquerque residents can take trash to one of three public drop-off locations, known as Convenience Centers, within the city. View the Trash Drop-Off page for hours.

I have questions regarding the Solid Waste portion of my monthly utility bill.

Even though the water, waste water, and refuse are billed on the same bill, you will need to call Solid Waste at 505-761-8138 to address questions concerning your refuse pickup and charges. The Solid Waste portion of your monthly bill is incorporated into the consolidated billed to save rate payers and the City's cost of mailing. For a breakdown of your residential bill click here: Residential Collection & Disposal Rates

What do I do with household hazardous waste, such as paint, cleaning products or motor oil?

Residential Customers:

Hazardous waste is prohibited at the City Landfill. Do not throw hazardous waste in your rollout cart. Hazardous waste, which includes paints, insecticides, automotive products, solvents and some cleaners, must be brought to the Household Hazardous Waste collection center, Safety Kleen at 2720 Girard NE, 87107. Hours are Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.; closed holidays. Call 505-884-2277 for more information. This service is free to residents only.

Commercial Customers:

Call 505-884-2277.

How do I report a missed garbage pickup?

If your trash or recyclables are not picked up by 5:30 p.m. on your regular collection day, report online on this website or contact ABQ311.

Pick-up will be made within 24 hours or on the next business day. For example, if you report a missed pickup on Friday, your trash will be picked up on Monday, which is the next working day.

How do I set up refuse service for my business?

Commercial services are tailored to your company based on the amount of trash it generates and the size/accessibility of your container. Call 505-761-8138 to arrange a visit by a customer service representative to setup or change garbage collection service for your business or apartment complex.

Why did you charge me extra for my refuse pick up this month ?

Please call 505-761-8138 to review your account.

How do I dispose of a large item?

For Residential Customers ONLY:

Large items like air conditioners, stoves, dishwashers, washing machines and dryers, water heaters, lawn mowers, doors, sinks, toilets, mattresses, furniture and televisions can be picked up at no charge for Solid Waste Management Department residential customers only. Additional charges will apply for extra bags of garbage. Please call 505-761-8138 for details.

Request online one day before your regular trash collection day to schedule a pick-up with the large item pickup form on this website or contact ABQ311 by calling 311 (505-768-2000) or on the ABQ311 mobile app.

You may also take your large items to one of our three convenience centers.

Commercial Customers:

Commercial customers must pay $59.31. If you have large items or excess trash, you can make arrangements with the department to pick it up for an additional $59.31.  Additional charges will apply if service requires additional staff time and equipment. Call 311 to schedule a pick up.

How do I request an extra residential trash or recycling pickup?

Call 505-761-8138. Please note there is an $8.87 fee to collect extra residential trash and a $9.04 fee to collect extra recycling.

What do I do if I am physically unable to roll out my trash container to the curb?

Please download and fill out the Residential Disability Form.

Mail to:
Solid Waste Management Department
Attn: Residential
4600 Edith NE
Albuquerque, NM 87107

FAX to:

[email protected]

Where does the recycling go after it is collected?

Recycling collected at the curb is sent to BARCO Albuquerque. BARCO processes the materials and then ships them to end markets for reuse or to be made into new products.

Who do I contact to schedule a tour of the BARCO facility?

To schedule a tour call Keep Albuquerque Beautiful at 505-761-8334

When are my garbage and recycling pick-up days?

Lookup your trash and recycle collection day. To speak with an account representative about your collection day please call 505-761-8138.  The residential curbside garbage and recycling pick-up days vary across the City, but both services are provided on the same day.

Download the Recycle Coach app at your favorite app store and receive a personalized collection schedule, reminders, and more!

How do I set up refuse and recycling service for my home?

If you live within the Albuquerque city limits, call the Solid Waste Management Billing Section at 505-761-8138 to set up refuse service.

What are Solid Waste Management's requirements for putting out my residential garbage, recycling, and yard waste?

View Trash Collection, Recycling, and Green Waste information.

Why did I get a fuel surcharge on my bill?

There was not a rate increase on Solid Waste services; however, there is an approved fuel surcharge.

An ordinance was recently passed to apply a fuel surcharge to all refuse billings in order to compensate for the rising price of fuel. The surcharge goes into effect only when the cost of fuel exceeds $2.30 per gallon. The amount of the surcharge is based on the Solid Waste Department's fuel cost for each month. For further information please call 505-761-8138.

What can I do if my trash cart is lost or damaged?

Request online with the cart issues form on this website or contact ABQ311 by calling 311 (505-768-2000) or on the ABQ311 mobile app.

Replacement will be made free of charge for the first occurrence unless a cart is lost or damaged through customer negligence. Each Additional replacement will cost $51.10. Roll-out carts have a specific number that is assigned to each address. Your cart will be delivered or repaired within 5 working days of your request

Where can I dispose of my old paint and other hazardous materials?

View information about disposing Household Hazardous Waste.

How do I dispose of used motor oil?

View information about disposing Automotive Fluids.

What are the dead animal pick-up procedures?

Placing dead animals in your trash cart or bag is prohibited. For information on how to dispose of dead animals, call the Albuquerque Environmental Health Department, Animal Control Division at 505-768-1975.

What materials are collected curbside for recycling?

View a list of acceptable materials for recycling.

Can I recycle my magazines and junk mail?

Yes. View a list of acceptable materials for recycling.

I live in an apartment. How can I recycle my glass and other materials?

Apartment complexes with 25 or more units are part of the MFD recycling program. Call your property management company for information on how to recycle at your complex. In addition, to help make recycling even easier, the Solid Waste Management Department has eleven recycling drop-off sites located throughout the City. Find a recycling drop-off site nearest you.

Where can I dispose of construction materials?

Construction debris can be dropped off at the following sites:

  • Southwest Landfill: 505-242-2020
  • Rio Rancho Landfill: 800-963-4776
  • Sandoval County Landfill: 505-867-0814
  • Waste Management (County Customers): 505-892-1200

How can I recycle my phone books?

You may recycle your phone books in your blue recycling cart from your curb.

My office throws a lot of paper away. How can we recycle it?

Learn about our Commercial Recycling Program.

What type of plastics can be recycled?

Plastics #1 -#7 and rigid plastic (toys/ small hampers).

Why should I recycle, anyway?

Recycling helps the economy and the environment by promoting economic development and employment, conserving natural resources, and reducing pollution. More information about recycling.

Can residential customers rent large open top dumpsters?

Please call 505-761-8138 for a quote.

How do I get my bin enclosure inspected?

Call 505-761-8125 to request a Solid Waste Management Department Code Enforcer to perform a bin inspection.

How can I retrieve an item that I accidentally threw away in my trash or recycling cart?

If you notice that your item has been lost within four (4) hours of service call 505-761-8138 for assistance.

I would like to check the status of my employment application.

You may call the Central Human Resources department at 505-768-3700 to find out the status of your application.

How can I adopt a median?

If you or your group is interested in adopting a median please call Keep Albuquerque Beautiful at 505-761-8334.