Visitors are welcome to take photos for personal, non-commerical use.
Portrait photographers are required to obtain a Photography Permit for photo or video shoots at the BioPark Facilities:
For more information, please call (505) 848-7115 to speak with the Events Coordinator.
The Albuquerque Biological Park, comprising the Aquarium, Botanic Garden and Zoo, offers some of the most beautiful and unique locations for portraits to be taken. The BioPark welcomes photographers whose work is appropriate to our mission, but requires that the following guidelines be followed:
- Definition of Portrait Photography: The BioPark defines portrait photography as wedding, engagement, family portraits, graduation, quinceanera or other portraiture of individuals by professional photographers/videographers, or by amateurs acting in the role of a professional.
- Permit Authorization Badges: Photographers and videographers who conduct portrait photography at the BioPark are required to sign a Photo Policy Agreement before purchasing a Photography Permit Authorization Badge. The badge is available either for a full day or a year. The BioPark reserves the right to refuse to issue a permit badge. To sign the agreement and purchase the permit badge, call the Events Coordinator, (505) 848-7115, or the Facility Office Manager, (505) 848-7112 (if the Events Coordinator can’t be reached), to make arrangements. Scheduling in advance is highly recommended. The Events Coordinator and the Facility Office Manager are both located in the Administration Building at the Aquarium/Botanic Garden.
- Daily Permit: After signing the Photo Policy Agreement, a Photography Permit Authorization Badge for non-exclusive use may be purchased for $25 per day per site. The daily Photography Permit Authorization includes the signing photographer’s admission to the zoo on the date of the permit. All photographer assistants/ participants/ clients will be charged the regular admission fee. The authorized photographer will be issued a Photography Permit Authorization badge that must be worn while on the BioPark grounds, identifying the day of authorization. The badge must be returned to the BioPark staff member who issued it at the close of business on the authorized day of use.
- Annual Permits: After signing the Photo Policy Agreement, photographers and videographers may purchase a Photography Permit Authorization Badge for $250. The annual Photography Permit Authorization includes facility admission for the signing photographer only. All photographer assistants/participants/clients will be charged the regular admission fee. The authorized photographer will then be issued a Photography Permit Authorization badge, valid for one year from date of purchase, which the photographer must wear while on the grounds. Photography studios with more than one photographer will be charged an extra $50 per additional photographer, and each photographer will be provided with their own Photography Permit Authorization badge. Authorization badges are nontransferable (ID’s will be required at the Admission booth). All other rules and regulations apply.
- Bridal Portraits: Photographers taking bridal portraits must call ahead to schedule their session. We hold many wedding ceremonies and receptions at the Garden and will decline requests for bridal portraits on dates when a wedding is scheduled. Unscheduled bridal shoots will be turned away if a wedding has also been scheduled for that day. Reservations are accepted up to 30 days in advance of the shoot. For reservations please contact the Event Coordinator, (505) 848-7115.
- Questions? Contact the Events Coordinator, (505) 848-7115, or the Facility Office Manager, (505) 848- 7112 (if the Events Coordinator can’t be reached).
Please read the BioPark's photography policies, then print the Agreement below and bring to the administration offices at the Zoo or Aquarium and Botanic Garden.
- Professional photography sessions and videos may be taken in public viewing areas only. Photographers or models/clients may not step in planter beds, animal areas, behind the scenes, on railroad tracks, etc. Everyone and all equipment must stay on the public paths. No person, plant exhibit, property or facility may be interfered with or damaged.
- All pathways must remain accessible to all BioPark visitors at all times; no pathways may be blocked. Do not ask gardeners/keepers to stop work, move equipment/ tools, or interfere with their daily tasks.
- The moving or removing of plants or structures that are part of the BioPark – such as benches, containers, displays, plant interpretation, fences, etc. – is strictly forbidden.
- Photography or video with subjects in swimwear or attire that might be considered inappropriate to other visitors is NOT permitted. Questions regarding appropriateness must be directed to the Events Coordinator.
- The applicant/photographer will be held accountable for the actions of themselves, crew members and models/clients for any damage to the BioPark facilities and property.
- If any inappropriate behavior is observed, the Manager of the facility, BioPark Director or BioPark Security will warn the applicant once. If the warning is not heeded and inappropriate behavior continues, or the behavior is considered egregious, these BioPark representatives may elect to abort any or all filming/photography and related activities. The applicant agrees to be bound by any such decision made by BioPark personnel.
- All photography must take place during regular business hours, and must conclude when the BioPark closes for the day. No daily permits will be issued after 4:00pm. Portrait sessions cannot take place during special events.
- If there are special requests (i.e., photographing before or after regular business hours, entry to non-public areas), the Events Coordinator may be available to accompany the photographer for an additional $50/hour to coordinate arrangements with other BioPark departments, wherever possible.
- The applicant agrees that the topic or end result of the shoot shall not identify the BioPark, its mission, exhibits, or plants in a derogatory or defacing manner.
I have read and agree to the above policies.
I am purchasing a Photography Permit/Authorization (circle one):
- Daily Photography Permit
- Annual Photography Permit (effective _______________)
Name of Applicant:________________________________________________
Contact Number (cell)____________________________
Business Number (if different from cell): _____________________________
Business Address (if not a business, personal address): _________________ ______________________________________________________________
Signature of applicant/photographer: ________________________________
Today’s Date: _____________________________________
BioPark Witness: ___________________________________
Once the Photo Policy Agreement is signed, the applicant takes the Agreement to the BioPark cashier and pays the BioPark cashier the fee for the Photography Permit Authorization badge. The applicant then shows the receipt to the Administration contact (Events Coordinator, Facility Office Manager or their designee) and is issued a dated Photography Permit Authorization Badge.