Bikeways and Trails Facilities Plan
- 02/13/2015: R-14-142 Bikeways and Trails Plan (Benton, by request) will be heard at the May 18, 2015 City Council Meeting. The meeting begins at 5:00 PM and is located in the Vincent E. Griego Chambers, the basement of City Hall. The public is encouraged to attend and provide comment on the Plan.
About this Project
The Bikeways and Trails Facilities Plan (BTFP) is a collaborative effort between:
- the Department of Municipal Development
- the Parks & Recreation Department
- the Planning Department
You may read the Draft BTFP and learn more about the planning process at the project site.
The Plan evaluates the existing and proposed facilities and provides a list of future projects. The overarching purpose is to ensure a well-connected and enjoyable non-motorized transportation and recreation system throughout the metropolitan area.
This plan proposes projects and programs that can be implemented over the next 50 years, at our current rates of funding for bikeways & trails activities. However, the plan recommends more frequent updates at 5 year intervals to allow the City to keep up with new best practices and to reflect our evolving understanding of the challenges facing the City in terms of walking and bicycling.
- December 10, 2014: the Plan will have its first LUPZ hearing. This is the first step in the City Council's final adoption process, which will include at least two hearings at the Council's LUPZ Committee, and hearings before the full Council.
- October 9, 2014: the Environmental Planning Commission (EPC) voted to recommend approval of the Bikeways and Trails Facility Plan, October 2014 version.
City Councilor Isaac Benton has been asked to sponsor "by request" the legislation adopting the Plan.
Questions or Comments?
If you have any questions or comments about the adoption process, or would like to make recommendations for changes to the Draft Plan, you may contact either of the following City Council staff:
For questions about the BTFP itself, please contact the Planning Department Staff Planner:
- Carrie Barkhurst: [email protected] or (505) 924-3879