Outdoor Open Burning
Indoor Fireplace & Woodstoves
An operational permit is required for the kindling or maintaining or an open fire or a fire on any public or private ground. Instruction and stipulations or the permit shall be adhered to.
Exception: Burning of dead and dry weed removal on private residential, commercial or industrial property and hot torch weed control, which will comply with all of the following
For conditionally allowed private residential, commercial, or industrial property burning of dead and dry weeds, burn hours are from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. There are no time restrictions on permanently installed outdoor fireplaces, barbeque pits, and portable fireplaces or chimineas.
Albuquerque residents may burn piled vegetation under the following rules and parameters:
- It must be a burn day, call (505) 768-2876 in ABQ or 505-468-7200 in Bernalillo County
- Pile size shall not exceed (3' X 3') three feet by three feet.
- No burning is allowed within 25 feet of structure or combustible materials.
- Fire extinguishing equipment must be on site (i.e. garden hose, fire extinguisher 4A Rating or water tuck)
- Fire must be constantly attended until completely extinguished.
- If wind exceeds 15 miles per hour burning must be immediately discontinued.
No Permit is required but prior to burning but you must call the City of Albuquerque's Burn/No-Burn Hotline to ensure its a burn day. If a burning is allowed, call fire dispatch.
If the pile exceeds 3 feet by 3 feet, call the Fire Marshal's Office at (505) 764-6300 and Environmental Health (505) 768-2617 for information on obtaining a permit.
Recreational Fires and Bonfires
An operational permit is required for the kindling or maintaining a recreational fire or bonfire. A permit can be requested by contacting the Fire Marshal's Office at 505-764-6300.
Exception: Permanently installed outdoor fireplaces, barbeque pits, and portable fire places or chimineas.
|Type of Burning||Time Restrictions|
|1. Permanent outdoor fireplaces, barbeque pits, and portable fireplaces or chimineas .||
No time restrictions
|2 . Dead and dry weed removal on private residential, commercial or industrial property, and hot torch weed control on private residential property in 3' X 3 ' area. See rules and parameters above.||11 a.m. to 3 p.m. if a burn day|
|4. Small-scale fire extinguisher training (fewer than 50 participants).||No time restrictions|
* At any time, the Fire Department can request that you end your burning activities.