Translate Our Site

Noise Permit

Noise permits for the temporary exceedance of the noise ordinance are available through the City of Albuquerque Environmental Health Department, located downtown at City Hall in Suite 3023.

Noise Monitoring

These permits are free of charge and always subject to review or revocation by the Albuquerque Police Department. For directions, click this (map).

Download the Noise Ordinance (81kb)

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the time limits for making noise?
The ordinance generally allows a 5-decibel increase above existing noise levels at any residential property line at any time. Amplified sound (radios, televisions, stereos, live bands, etc.) has an additional restriction: it must not be plainly audible inside any residence between 10 pm-7 am. Power tools that would include saws, leaf blowers and lawn mowers are restricted to use no earlier than 7 am Monday thru Saturday and 9 am Sundays and Holidays.

Who handles complaints about noisy neighbors?
Contact the Albuquerque Police Department at (505) 242-COPS (2677) or your local police substation.

Who handles complaints about barking dogs and other animals?
Animal Welfare Department (505) 768-1975.

Who handles complaints about airplane noise?
The Federal Aviation Administration has guidelines that address noise generated by jets at airports. Local noise guidelines are superseded by the FAA's regulations. You can reach them at (505) 842-2007. Visit the Albuquerque Sunport webpage for more information about the Noise Abatement Program.