Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions About Noise

Below are frequently asked questions about noise in the City of Albuquerque.

My neighbor plays loud music throughout the night. Can you make them stop?

The best solution would be to talk to your neighbor face to face and kindly ask them to respect your need for quiet. If you live in an apartment building, you might consider contacting the building management. If you are still unable to resolve the complaint, please contact the City of Albuquerque Office of Diversity and Human Rights to schedule a free mediation session. You may also call 311 to file a noise complaint.

There are car alarms in my neighborhood that go off at night. Who should I call?

Please call the Albuquerque Police Department non-emergency number 505-242-COPS (2677).

What about loud car stereos, mufflers and motorcycles?

Please call the Albuquerque Police Department non-emergency number 505-242-COPS (2677).

There are dogs barking throughout the night. Who can I call?

Please fill out the form on this website to file a noise complaint. You may also call 311. Please note that that public zoos and animal shelters are exempt from the noise ordinance.

A neighborhood bar has live music in the evening and it is very noisy.

The noise ordinance requires bars and restaurants to follow the noise ordinance limits. Please call 311 to file a noise complaint.

What are the regular hours in which construction is allowed?

Construction activities are allowed from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Construction cannot occur on Sundays, holidays, or after the permitted hours without a construction noise permit. Construction work due to an emergency is exempt.

The garbage trucks wake me up in the morning. What are their permitted hours of activity?

The noise ordinance only applies to trash collection taking place before 7 a.m. and after 10 p.m. If you have a complaint about trash pickup noise, please call 311. Be sure to provide the name of the garbage company and the truck number making noise.

The airplanes that fly over the City on their way to the airports are very loud. Is there a way for the City to change their flight path?

The Federal Aviation Administration has guidelines that address noise at airports. Aircraft are exempt from the Noise Ordinance. Airport noise issues and concerns should be reported to the Albuquerque Sunport. You can reach them at 505-842-2007. Visit the Albuquerque Sunport web page for more information about the Noise Abatement Program.

When can I use my lawnmower or other outdoor power equipment?

Outdoor use of lawnmowers or other power equipment is allowed from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday to Saturday and 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays and holidays. Power equipment includes, but is not limited to, leaf blowers, rototillers, sweepers, power saws, or other powered tools for gardening, property repair, or other functions.

Can I report a noise complaint anonymously?

Environmental Health attempts to respond to all noise complaints. However, when noise complaints are reported to anonymously, little enforcement action can be taken as the Noise Control Ordinance states that noise measurements must occur on the affected property. Therefore, it is important to provide contact information so we can follow-up on your complaint.

Can you do anything about idling trucks?

Noise from idling vehicles is not covered by the Noise Ordinance. Please contact APD for assistance at 505-242-COPS.