The following information is for private citizens only NOT home health care agencies. Home health care providers are required to dispose of medical waste according to the New Mexico Administrative Code.
Disposal of Pharmaceuticals
Only pill medications are acceptable for disposal which includes Doctor prescribed and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, herbal supplements, and pet medications. Remove all medications from their original containers including pills in foil and place them in a sealable bag for disposal.
Unacceptable Medications for Disposal include:
- Liquids, injectable or syringes.
- Chemo or Medical Waste
- Inhalers or other personal care items
- Prescriptions on the Environmental Protection Agency's P or U List
If unsure about the medication, call the Metropolitan Forensic Science Center at (505) 823-4200.
Pill Medication Disposal Sites:
- The Metropolitan Forensic Science Center at 5350 2nd ST NW (behind the Gerald Cline Memorial Police Substation). Thursday Only, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call (505) 823-4200 to ensure staffing.
- APD Area Commands 8:00a.m.– 5:00pm; After Hours:call 242-COPS.
|Foothills Area Command||12800 Lomas NE, 87112||(505) 332-5240|
|NE Area Command||8201 Ozona Rd. NE, 87109||(505) 823-4455|
|SE Area Command||800 Louisiana SE, 87108||(505) 256-2050|
|Valley Area Command||5408 2nd St. NW, 87107||(505) 761-8800|
SW Area Command
|6404 Los Volcanes NW 87120||(505) 831-4705|
|NW Area Command||10401 Cibola Loop, NW 87114||(505) 768-4850|
Infectious Waste Disposal
Infectious waste is medical equipment with blood or other body fluids and cannot be cleaned or reused.
The following information is for private homes that are NOT using a home health care agency. Home health care providers are required to dispose medical waste according to the New Mexico Administrative Code.
Proper disposal of household needles, lancets and other sharps by the Public:
- Put all household generated sharps: needles, lancets, and single razor blades into a rigid plastic container such as an empty laundry detergent or bleach bottle.
- Label container with "Danger Sharps Inside"
- Do NOT use glass or coffee cans
- Clearly label the container "Contains Sharps" with a waterproof marker.
- Immediately put used syringes or lancets into the container.
- Screw on the top after each use.
- Don't clip, bend or recap the needles because you could injure yourself.
- Keep the container away from children!
- Add a few tablespoons of household bleach for added safety.(optional)
- Seal it with heavy-duty tape when the container is full.
- Take to a drop-off collection site or put with regular trash.
Public Needle Collection Sites in Albuquerque:
|Stanford PHO||1111Stanford NE||
|Northwest Valley PHO||7704 2nd St. NW||
|Southwest Valley PHO||2001 N. Centro Familiar SW||
|New Mexico AIDS Services||625 Truman St. NE||
Bio-Waste Disposal Companies:
|Stericycle||1920 1st St. NW, Albuq., NM 87102||(505) 247-9454|
|Logical Family Solutions||7120 Bloodstone Rd NE, Albuq., N.M. 87113||(505) 821-9969|
|MedPro Waste Disposal, LLC||(888) 599-5122|
|WM of NM||
402 Industrial Park Loop NE
|NM Sonographics||431 Saint Michaels Dr # A||(505) 984-0222|