Tips for the traveler regarding bed bugs.
Before You Have a Problem
- Know what bed bugs look like
- Be familiar with where they hide
- Know what to look for and what to do if you think have a problem
Before Bringing Your Belongings Into Your Hotel Room
Check the room quickly for signs of bed bugs
- Seams of the mattress and the box springs
- Behind the headboard and anything hanging on the walls near the bed
- Small blood stains on the sheets and pillow cases
- Black spots in the seams of the mattress or box spring or headboard
- Cast skins or empty shells from the bugs
If possible you may want to move the bed away from the wall or tuck in everything on the bed so nothing touches the floor.
Keep you luggage and personal effects off the floor by using the luggage rack and hanging them up.
If You Visited an Infested Place or Suspect an Infestation
- Notify the management as soon as you suspect a problem. If you've stayed at multiple places, notify all of them as the bites don't always appear on the first day.
- If you are no longer traveling, check your belongings because the bed bugs may be traveling with you. If in doubt clean everything.
- If you are still at the place
- Ask to see their bed bug policy and IPM Plan. If they don't have one, request that the room be inspected ASAP and that you be provided the results.
- If you are provided with another room while the original room is being inspected, ask for plastic bags to put all of your belongings in until you get the results back from the inspection.
- If the inspection reveals bed bugs, then keep all items in tightly sealed bags until they can be laundered, washed by hand, heated or frozen. There is no need to discard anything.
Remember: Bed bugs are great hitchhikers so it may be impossible to track down where they came from. Bed bugs have been found in homes, apartments, hotels, motels, health care facilities, dormitories, shelters, and schools. They have even been found in movie theaters, laundries/dry cleaners, furniture rental outlets, office buildings and different modes of transportation.