Skunks are widespread and fairly common in the Albuquerque area.
The City of Albuquerque does not pick up trapped skunks. Citizens with trapped wildlife (skunks, squirrels, gophers, etc...) requiring removal should contact professional pest control specializing in wildlife. These companies can be found in the Yellow Pages, by calling 411, or through an internet search (e.g. search "Albuquerque wildlife removal"). Be sure to check that the company chosen is licensed for wildlife trapping and handling.
Skunks are widespread and fairly common in the Albuquerque area. They are nocturnal and rarely observed, although their distinctive odor often lets homeowners know one may be in the neighborhood. Additional information about skunks and their biology can be found here: http://www.rdwildlife.com/species/skunks/
Trapping skunks is not recommended in most instances. Skunks that are trapped and removed from a site must be euthanized because the animals cannot be relocated. Simply removing the skunk does not address the reason for conflict. Another skunk will likely move into the area quickly and continue the problem. Following simple steps can often reduce conflict with these animals, and eliminate the need for professional assistance with a skunk issue.
Removal of attractants
- NEVER feed skunks
- Feed pets indoors. Do not leave unattended food outside
- Pick up fallen fruit and harvest garden
- Eliminate water sources
- Secure trash and place outside only on pick-up days
- Eliminate brush piles that may serve as cover or a den site
Tips for excluding skunks from your property
- Fencing must include underground portion to prevent digging
- Close holes under fences or gates
- Securely board off entry areas under buildings, porches, and decks
- Keep shrubs and brush trimmed to reduce cover
Skunks and your pets
- Lock pet doors at night to prevent entry
- Keep pets indoors at night
- Always vaccinate your pets. If you suspect a pet has been bitten by a skunk, take the pet immediately to a vet
For more information on resolving skunk conflicts please call 311.