What Is Norovirus?
- A viral illness that causes inflammation of the stomach, intestines or both
- Common in day cares, nursing homes, assisted care facilities, schools, cruise ships
- Also called “stomach flu” or Norwalk virus
- Leading cause of food-borne illness in the United States:
- Approximately 21 million cases of illness each year
- 70,000 hospitalizations, 800 deaths each year
What Are The Symptoms of Norovirus?
- Stomach pain
- Body ache
How Is Norovirus Transmitted?
- Direct contact with infected person
- Contact with contaminated food, water or surfaces
- Infection runs its course in 1-3 days
How is Norovirus Treated?
- There is no specific treatment
- Patients should ensure that dehydration does not occur
How Can Norovirus Be Prevented?
- Wash hands thoroughly and frequently
- Rinse fruits and vegetable before eating
- Cook shellfish thoroughly before eating
- Clean and sanitize surfaces thoroughly