Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

View answers to frequently asked questions.

How do I update my association's contact information?

Changes and updates can be made by an officer of the association by:

Does my Neighborhood Association have to follow the Open Meetings Act? Do they have to legally follow Robert's Rules of Order? Can you cite them?

Neighborhood Associations are not required to follow the state Open Meetings Act, N.M.S.A. 1978, §§ 10-15-1 et seq., in order to be "recognized" by the City of Albuquerque.

Neighborhood Associations also are not required to follow Robert's Rules of Order, 10th ed. (Cambridge, Mass.: Perseus Publishing, 2000), in order to be "recognized" by the City of Albuquerque as a Neighborhood Association.

Similarly, following the state Open Meetings Act or using Robert's Rules of Order does not prevent a Neighborhood Association from being "recognized" by the City of Albuquerque.

It is the preference of the Neighborhood Association to use or not use Robert's Rules or to follow the Open Meetings Act.

Can my association place newsletters and/or flyers in mailboxes within the boundaries of our association?

If you have a question related to a mailbox or postage, it's always best to refer to the U.S. Postal Service website.

According to the U.S. Postal Service:

"No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail." (Section 3.1.3 Use for Mail – DMM 508 Recipient Services). The key to this statement is in the term "postage" which is defined as: payment for a delivery service that is affixed or imprinted to a mail piece, usually in the form of a postage stamp, permit imprint or meter impression.

The President (or other officer) of my Neighborhood Association is showing favoritism to particular members and he/she is being untruthful. Can the City investigate and bring appropriate impeachment proceedings?

If you have reason to believe an officer of your Neighborhood Association is engaged in misconduct, please refer to your bylaws.

You also can refer to the advice of a private attorney to determine what remedies you have or what actions you can take regarding misconduct of an officer of your private organization.

The Treasurer of my Neighborhood Association refuses to show us the accounting books. We fear he/she may have embezzled our money. Can the City help?

If you have reason to believe a crime has been committed, such as theft or embezzlement, call the Albuquerque Police Department right away.

Can my Neighborhood Association legally do _____________? Can the City make them stop?

The City does not provide legal advice to Neighborhood Associations, gun clubs, book clubs, auto associations or any other private organization.

When trying to determine how to run a particular organization, you must turn to the organization's bylaws, the organization's parliamentarian, or the organization's own legal counsel for advice. However, the City is happy to guide any neighborhood association as to the legal requirements for "recognition" as set forth in our ordinance.