Skip to main content

Injured and Baby Birds

Who Do I Contact?

Injured Bird

Contact: A local wildlife rehabilitator.

Injured Bird of Prey

Contact: City of Albuquerque 311.

Injured birds of prey (eagles, hawks, owls, and falcons) should be reported to the City of Albuquerque.

Baby Bird

Contact: A local wildlife rehabilitator.

The City of Albuquerque does not pick up baby birds. 

What do I do if I find an injured bird?

If you find an injured bird, carefully put it in a cardboard box with a lid or a towel over the top, and place in a cool, safe place. Birds go into shock very easily when injured, and often die from the shock. If a bird has hit a window and is still alive, it may just need time to regain its senses, then may be able to fly away. Do not try to force feed or give water to the bird. If it is still alive after a few hours, you can try to find a local wildlife rehabilitator.

Local wildlife rehabilitators

What do I do if I found an orphaned baby bird?

If you have found an orphaned bird, the first step is to determine if it is really orphaned. When many young birds first fledge and leave the nest, they may still have a little down with short tail and wing feathers. Fledglings often also have weak flight muscles and may be fed for a few days by their parents outside of the nest. This is a very vulnerable time for young birds, as they are easy prey for roaming cats and other predators. It is important to keep fledglings safe and to allow the parents to continue feeding them.

If the bird has fallen out of the nest prematurely, or if a tree was cut down and a nest of young is found, a rehabber may be needed.

The following chart from the National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association can help you determine the proper course of action:

caption:found bird chart