Employee Mediation Tips
Before the Mediation Session
- Decide what your workplace concerns are;
- Consider what the other person’s viewpoint may be;
- What the best result would be if an agreement is reached in the mediation session;
- What the worst result would be if an agreement is not reached; and
- What might be a sensible, realistic, and fair resolution to the issue.
- Prepare to let go of the past and work towards the future.
During the Mediation Session
- Commit to honor the confidentiality of the mediation sessions;
- Listen respectfully to the other person’s point of view;
- Openly discuss how the issues affect the workplace;
- Work with the other person to discuss options that may result in an agreement that works for everyone.
After the Mediation Session
- If you reach an agreement during mediation, carry out all agreement items in good faith;
- If agreement items need further clarification, work with the other person to clarify or adjust the item;
- Ask for help or another mediation session, before things get out of hand, if the situation begins to worsen.