How to Start A Business
Follow these steps to register your business with the City of Albuquerque.
Obtain a New Mexico State Gross Receipts Tax Identification Number
To obtain a Tax Identification Number, contact:
N.M. Taxation & Revenue Department
5301 Central NE
Albuquerque, NM 87108 - Map
Contact the City of Albuquerque's Environmental Health Department if any of the following apply to your business:
- Involves handling, preparing, or serving food
- Has a swimming pool
- Is a liquor store, bar, lounge, or convenience store selling liquor
The Environmental Health Department inform you know if City Health Ordinances apply to your business. They also will issue the clearance forms and determine inspection fees. View Environmental Health Department information
Contact the City Treasury Division if your business involves any of the following:
- Lodging (hotel, motel operations)
- Professional fund raising
- Business solicitations at private residences or on public streets or sidewalks
Submit a Business Registration Application, along with a check for $35 made payable to the "City of Albuquerque."
Also include any Environmental Health clearance forms that were issued for your business.
Download the Official Business Registration Application: