Updates on Planning and Zoning Related Legislation
Below is a list of planning-related items that will be heard at full Council or LUPZ in the coming weeks.
- O-14-20 | The Secondary Dwelling Units legislation will be heard at the February 1st City Council meeting. On January 13th, the Land Use, Planning and Zoning (LUPZ) Committee sent it to Council with no recommendation. As the legislation currently stands, it proposes to allow Secondary Dwelling Units (conditionally or permissively, depending on zone) in large lot, townhouse and higher-density zones where single family detached development had occurred. The current version of O-14-20 would not affect the R-1 zone. Further information on this bill can be found here.
- O-16-5 | The Planning Department is proposing an update to the landscape regulations within the Zoning Code. The intent of this legislation is to update the existing language to be more reflective of Albuquerque’s high desert environment, and to put more emphasis on the tree canopy coverage by adding incentives for using trees in landscaping. The EPC heard the proposed changes at their November 12th meeting and have recommended approval based on findings and conditions. This bill will be forwarded to LUPZ, to be heard on February 10th. Further information can be found here.
- O-16-6 |This is a companion bill to O-15-6, above, and proposes to amend the part of the Traffic Code that regulates the requirement of street trees for new developments or redevelopments over 200 square feet. This bill will adjust the requirements for street trees to enhance the quality of the public environment and incentivize growth of the tree canopy. This bill will be forwarded to LUPZ, to be heard on February 10th. The amended language can be read here.
- R-16-12 | The City Council’s LUPZ Committee is scheduled to consider a resolution establishing a properties list for the City’s future Open Space land acquisition and prioritizing certain properties on Feb 10th at the LUPZ meeting. Details on this bill can be read here.
- R-16-10 | The Council’s LUPZ Committee will consider adopting a Downtown Arts & Cultural District Plan and boundary. The boundary, which covers the downtown core, can be found in the Plan. The purpose of adopting the plan and boundary is to identify areas of improvement and cultural opportunities within the downtown area. With a formal boundary adopted, funding for improvements downtown will be more accessible. This item will be heard at the February 10th LUPZ meeting. Information may be found here.
- R-15-262 | The Council’s LUPZ Committee will consider amending the Huning Highland Sector Development Plan’s Corridor Revitalization Zone to allow the sale of beer and wine for on-premise consumption for establishments with a “small brewers license” or “winegrowers license”. This bill would also allow the sale of alcohol (primarily growlers) for the same establishments as a conditional use. R-15-262 was heard at the December 10th EPC meeting, and the commission voted unanimously to forward a recommendation of approval to City Council. This item will be heard at the February 10th LUPZ meeting. Information may be found here.
Relevant Meeting Dates, Times, and Locations:
City Council Meeting
February 1st, 2016 | 5:00
Vincent E. Griego Council Chambers
Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Government Center
Land Use, Planning, and Zoning Committee (LUPZ)
February 10th, 2016| 5:00
Council Committee Room
9th Floor, Suite 9081