Skip to main content

Renters' Rights

Residential tenants' rights and help for renters

Received an eviction notice?

Do not wait. Get advice from a lawyer right away. Legal resources are listed below.

If you are being evicted for late rent, also contact NM Eviction Prevention & Diversion Program immediately.

What should I do if I can’t pay my rent?

Talk to the landlord and explain your situation. Try to work out a payment plan before the landlord gives you a three-day notice or takes you to court. Put it in writing.

Look for rent assistance programs and apply. Rental assistance is currently available for qualifying renters in the City of Albuquerque through the Health and Social Service Centers listed below.

Name Contact Information
John Marshall Health & Social Service Center Address: 1500 Walter SE
Phone: 505-848-1345
Fax: 505-764-1795
Alamosa Health & Social Service Center Address: 6900 Gonzales SW
Phone: 505-836-8800
Fax: 505-836-8807
Los Griegos Health & Social Service Center Address: 1231 Candelaria NW
Phone: 505-761-4050
Fax: 505-761-4048
East Central Health & Social Service Center Address: 7525 Zuni SE
Phone: 505-767-5700
Fax: 505-767-5709

What if my landlord takes me to court?

To evict a tenant, the landlord must file a court case, go to a hearing and get an order from the judge ordering the tenant to be evicted. 

Watch this short video from New Mexico Legal Aid about the eviction court process.

Go to court for the hearingRead all Court instructions carefully. Missing a hearing could mean you will be evicted and lose your home.

What are my rights?

You cannot be legally evicted without a court order.

It is illegal for a landlord to evict a tenant without a court order by doing any of the following:

  • Changing locks
  • Disconnecting electricity, water or gas
  • Being violent
  • Threatening to do any of the above.

A landlord is required to give you a three-, seven- or thirty-day notice with the reasons for terminating the lease before the landlord can go to court to evict you. But, you can agree to move out voluntarily. You may still owe the rent money to the landlord even if you move out. 

For detailed information about renters' rights, see the New Mexico Legal Aid’s Renter’s Guide.

Where can I get legal help?

The following organizations may be able to provide legal assistance. Please call them directly at the number listed below. 

Organization Name Phone Number Description Website
New Mexico Legal Aid



Legal advice and representation for low-income people.  New Mexico Legal Aid
Senior Citizen's Law Office 505-265-2300 Legal advice and representation for age 60 or older.
Legal Resources for Elderly Program 1-800-876-6657 Legal advice for age 55 or older. Legal Resources for the Elderly (
Modest Means Helpline 505-797-6013 Legal advice by phone Modest Means Helpline (
NM Immigrant Law Center 505-247-1023 Legal advice and representation for low-income immigrants. NMILC-The New Mexico Immigrant Law Center
Metropolitan Court – Self Help Center 505-841-9817 Court forms, information and assistance with court process for renters and landlords. Self-Help Center | Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court (
Landlord & Tenant Hotline 505-930-5666 Information for tenants, landlords, and property managers.  None


Find more info on eviction prevention from Family and Community Services Department page at Eviction Prevention — City of Albuquerque (



Free online workshop on renters' rights - Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 5:30pm

This is an online-only presentation about renters' rights in New Mexico provided by lawyers with New Mexico Legal Aid. No RSVP is required.

Attend on Zoom at this link: Meeting ID: 852 2161 3062


Repairs and Maintenance Problems

Renter's Guide to the City of Albuquerque Housing Code

Report housing code violations by calling 311.