National Night Out: Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to frequently asked questions about National Night Out.

National Night Out takes place on Tuesday, Aug. 3, 2021. Join your neighbors, APD officers, and City officials to help make your block safer.


Please ensure that your event adheres to all Public Health Orders and CDC guidelines. For additional information, visit:

What kinds of permits might I need for my event?

  • If you are holding your event in a neighborhood street you'll need to fill out a Block Party Permit Application or contact 924-3673 or [email protected].
  • If you are holding your event in a public park, you'll need to fill out a park use agreement or contact [email protected].
  • If you have food for sale you might need a temporary food permit. Call the Environmental Health Department (505) 768-2738 to find out. They can also offer you guidance to make sure your event is successful. Additionally, they have a list of available food trucks if you are interested in inviting a food truck to your event.
  • Any sort of amplified sound will need a noise permit. Call the Environmental Health Department: (505) 768-2632.

What types of activities should I have at my block party?

Consider any of the following activities for your National Night Out event:

  • Front yard picnics
  • Walk the neighborhood or stroll the street event
  • Sidewalk chalk art with positive messaging
  • Front porch celebrations for each household on the block
  • Roving ice cream social with HOA or Neighborhood Board members delivering pre-packaged treats to each front yard or driveway

What promotional materials are available?

To help advertise your event, download our flyer.