File an APD Complaint
We make it convenient for you to report police misconduct.
File a complaint of police misconduct to the Civilian Police Oversight Agency.
At the bottom of the form is an Electronic Signature form which constitutes your legal signature. Please electronically sign your complaint.
About the Citizen Police Complaint Process
The Citizen Police Complaint Process Pursuant to Amended Police Oversight Ordinance:
- A person may file a Complaint against the Albuquerque Police Department (APD), via the internet or in writing.
- The Administrative Office of the Civilian Police Oversight Agency (Administrative Office) will open a case and assign it to an investigator. The assigned investigator will interview witnesses, obtain evidence, and interview the APD officers involved.
- The Administrative Office will mediate Complaints, whenever appropriate and agreed upon by the parties.
- If the Complaint is not mediated, the Administrative Office Investigators will conduct a full investigation.
- Once the investigation of the Complaint is completed, the Executive Director of the Administrative Office will review the Complaint and results of the investigation to determine if there are any violations of Albuquerque Police Department Standard Operating Procedures. Standard Operating Procedures are the Police Department's rules regulating police and employee actions and conduct.
- The Executive Director of the Administrative Office will draft a letter to the person who filed the Complaint indicting her conclusions and findings.
- The members of the Police Oversight Board (POB) will review the Complaint and approve the Executive Director's findings and conclusions.
- After the POB has approved the Executive Director's findings, the Administrative Office will send the findings to the person who filed the Complaint via Certified Mail and to the Albuquerque Police Department.
- The person who filed the Complainant may appeal the POB's findings.
- The Chief of Police has sole authority to impose discipline to an Albuquerque Police Department employee for violations of the Albuquerque Police Department Standard Operating Procedures. The Civilian Police Oversight Agency does not impose discipline.
- The Civilian Police Oversight Agency does not conduct criminal investigations.