Updates on Planning and Zoning Related Legislation
Below is a list of planning-related items that will be heard at full Council or LUPZ in the coming weeks
- R-15-274 (LUPZ) | R-15-274 would amend the Coors Corridor Plan as it relates to design standards for signage. The plan currently doesn’t allow temporary signs such as banners and pennants. This amendment would allow businesses to use such signs temporarily in a situation where they were forced to relocate due to unavoidable events such as a fire. The business owner would be permitted to use one 3-foot by 6-foot temporary sign for up to 90 days to inform the public of their relocation. This bill will be heard at the March 16th LUPZ hearing.
- O-16-5 (LUPZ) | The Planning Department is proposing an update to the landscape regulations within the Zoning Code. The intent of this legislation is to update the existing language to be more reflective of Albuquerque’s high desert environment, and to put more emphasis on the tree canopy coverage by adding incentives for using trees in landscaping. The EPC heard the proposed changes at their November 12th meeting and have recommended approval based on findings and conditions. This bill was heard at the February 10th LUPZ hearing and was postponed to the March 16th.
- O-16-6 (LUPZ) | This is a companion bill to O-15-6, above, and proposes to amend the part of the Traffic Code that regulates the requirement of street trees for new developments or redevelopments over 200 square feet. This bill will adjust the requirements for street trees to enhance the quality of the public environment and incentivize growth of the tree canopy. This bill was heard at the February 10th LUPZ hearing and was postponed to the March 16th The amended language can be read here.
- C/S R-16-12 (LUPZ) | This bill would establish a priorities list for the City of Albuquerque’s future Open Space Land acquisitions and identify priorities and special provisions for specific properties. This bill was heard at the February 10th LUPZ hearing, where a committee substitute that clarified and amended language regarding priorities for land acquisition was introduced. The bill, as substituted, was postponed to the March 16th LUPZ hearing. The bill and committee substitute can be found here.
- O-16-13 ( LUPZ) | This bill would amend the existing ordinance relating to the duties of the Open Space Advisory Board. Specifically, this amendment addresses how official priorities are designated, how the City evaluates open space priorities, and reevaluates certain aspects of the land acquisition process.
District-specific Legislation and Projects
- R-16-13 (LUPZ) | R-16-13 would adopt an East Gateway Metropolitan Development Plan for the existing East Gateway Metropolitan Development Area. The purpose of the Plan is to revitalize parcels along Central Avenue, from Wyoming to Four Hills Rd, creating a more welcoming corridor for residents and visitors. This bill will be heard by the LUPZ committee on March 16th . The project website can be found here.
Other Council Related Projects
- The draft of the Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Comprehensive is available on the project website, abc-zone.com. There is a deadline of March 11th (today!) for public review and comment to be addressed in the draft provided to the Environmental Planning Commission, however comments will be accepted by staff and addressed in subsequent drafts up until the time of adoption. Comments can be submitted via e-mail to the project team at [email protected].
- Module 1 of the Integrated Development Ordinance, which proposes new zones, the land uses allowed, and associated use-specific standards is available on the project website for review. Module 2, which includes dimensional standards for building heights, setbacks, landscaping, parking requirements, etc. will be available for public review in the coming weeks. There will be public meetings in April to review the content of Module 2 - stay tuned for dates.
Relevant Meeting Dates, Times, and Locations
Land Use, Planning, and Zoning Committee
March 16, 2016 | 5:00pm | Council Committee Room | 9th Floor, Suite 9081
City Council Meeting
March 21, 2016 | 5:00pm | Vincent E. Griego Council Chambers | Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Government Center