Skip to main content

Special Event Permitting Resources

Special Event Permitting Resources

Road Closures

When closing/ blocking a road, sidewalk or parking lot you will need to obtain a Barricade Permit. This permit will require a Traffic Control Plan (TCP) and insurance listing the city as additionally insured. 

If you plan on hosting a run or walk while having road closures, the above applies as well as the need to supply a route map depicting the route your attendees will take.

Barricade Companies for Traffic Control Plans:

City Park, Bike Trail or Open Space

City parks have a variety of parks available for event rentals. The use of parks for special events must be approved through the appropriate division. Please review the rules and restrictions regarding park use.

Fees for park use vary based on the park and type of activity:

  • Jumper Fee - $35/ Jumper (at select parks)
  • Electricity Fee - $65 first 2 hours/ $32 each additional hour
  • Open Space - $200 refundable deposit
  • Balloon Fiesta Park - Fees range based on areas of park used, starting at $250 per day
  • Open Space - Fees range based on amount of people and park location, starting at $50

More Information

Food Trucks

For events that will have two or more food tucks, each food truck owner/operator must submit the following:

  • City of Albuquerque (COA) Business Registration
  • City of Albuquerque (COA) Fire Marshal’s Office Mechanical Permit
  • Valid food permit from the City of Albuquerque Environmental Health Department, Bernalillo County, or New Mexico Environment Department 

Food Service

If you plan to (or have vendors who will) sell, serve and/or prepare food onsite you (or each vendor) will need to obtain a Temporary Food-Service Permit (for food preparation), a Temporary Retail Food Permit (for sale or distribution of prepackaged foods), and/or a Raw Produce Permit (for sale of raw, uncut produce).

Food vendors who are covered by the Homemade Food Act need not apply for temporary health permits; but must comply with the standards of the act. See Homemade Food Act FAQs.

For Markets: Vendors must obtain approval from a Market Coordinator to participate. Market vendors may obtain a Market Food Establishment Permit by submitting an application to the Environmental Health Department. This permit allows a vendor to participate at any market within the City under one permit.

All event planners and food vendors should review the Temporary Food Event Guide. For more information on temporary food permits please visit the Temporary Food Vendor page or contact the Environmental Health Department at 505-768-2738.

Alcohol Information

The acquisition of a permit is required in order to serve or sell alcohol. This permit is approved through the state Department of Alcohol Beverage Control with additional requirements from the City of Albuquerque. Prior to submitting your permit for alcohol, you will need to obtain an approved Outdoor Assembly Permit from the Department of Fire and Rescue

Amplified Sound

If your event will include amplified sound, such as a portable audio system, music or other activities, you might require a temporary noise permit. Temporary noise permits are free. More Information

Commerce and Business

All vendors selling product(s) must have a current business registration to do business in the city limits. Obtain, renew or update a Business Registration, annually or temporary.

Fee for a business registration is $35. 

Tents and Canopies

If you plan to have tents that are more than 400 square feet, you will need a Tent Permit from the Fire Marshal's Office and a Tent Permit from the zoning department. 

Tent permit and inspection fees vary depending on the total square footage of your tent footprint.

  • Zoning Tent Permit (For footprints larger than 400 square feet): $85
  • Fire Marshal's Office - Overtime Inspection Fee: $221
  • Fire Marshal's Office - Fees range from $100 - $300 depending on tent square footage

Carnival Rides, Bounce Houses and Inflatables

All Carnival Ride, Bounce House or Inflatable vendors are required to carry a 3 million dollar carnival insurance policy that names the City of Albuquerque as additionally insured. Vendors are also required to have current registration with the State of New Mexico's Regulation and Licensing Department.

Solid Waste/ Trash

The City of Albuquerque Solid Waste Department provides multiple services for special events:

  • Cardboard Recycling Bins 
  • Glass Recycling Open Tops
  • Open Top Trash Bin (Roll Off)

Fees for the Solid Waste Departments services range depending on your events needs. For more information, contact them at (505) 761-8100.

Site Plan

Detailed, professionally done site plans are required for all events (no hand drawn plans). There are a number of minimum requirements all site plans must have.

Public Notification

Event planners need to notify the Neighborhood Associations (NAs) that are impacted by the event no later than ten (10) days prior to your event. Please contact the Office of Neighborhood Coordination (ONC) at [email protected] to obtain the list of affected NAs. Please maintain a copy of the e-mails sent to each NA in the event there are questions. Please note that the NA list you receive is only valid for this specific event. Event planners need to include the following information when notifying the NAs about your event: 

  • Date and time of the event
  • Whether you will have amplified sound
  • Any road closures or potential traffic impacts

Please reach out to the Office of Neighborhood Coordination for more information. 

Fire Marshal's Office

In addition to any tent permit or outdoor assembly permits a special event may need, if you plan to roast chile, have open flame or fireworks/ pyrotechnics additional permits need to be obtained.

Fees for these permits range from $30 - $100. 

Insurance Information

Insurance Example

Commercial General Liability Including Automobile. A commercial general liability insurance policy (COI) with combined limits of liability for bodily injury or property damage as follows: (requirements are shown as listed on a standard form certificate of insurance)

  • $2,000,000 per Occurrence

  • $2,000,000 Policy Aggregate

  • $1,000,000 Products Liability/Completed Operations

  • $1,000,000 Personal and Advertising Injury

  • $ 5,000 Medical Payments

  • The CGL insurance policy must include coverage for all

The policy of insurance must include coverage for all operations performed by the User and Sub users, and contractual liability coverage will specifically insure the hold harmless provisions of this Agreement.

THE “CITY OF ALBUQUERQUE” WILL BE NAMED AN “ADDITIONAL INSURED” and the coverage afforded will be primary with respect to operations performed. The ADDL INSR box must have an “X” and the second page that shows and ties the endorsement must be attached.

Showing the City as a certificate holder is not the same as naming the City as an additional insured and is not an acceptable substitute. Please show the City as one of the certificate holders, so the city will be notified if coverage is cancelled.

Please list the “CITY OF ALBUQUERQUE as ADDITIONAL INSURED” in the “DESCRIPTION of OPERATIONS” box, even if the COI is a Blanket type coverage.

Use the following as the address for the certificate holder.
City of Albuquerque
400 Marquette Ave. (Suite 605)
NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102

If equivalent coverage is provided and the form is approved by the City, the user may provide a general liability policy in a form different from that described above.

Chief's Overtime

Chief’s Overtime is a service provided by the City of Albuquerque through the Albuquerque Police Department’s third party vendor Off-Duty Management.

The program allows customers to hire officers for security, traffic, escorts, and VIN Inspections. The program is funded through fees charged by the vendor. We do not accept assignments that require police escorts for a funeral or any private event (weddings, birthday parties, etc.) or any event that serves alcohol (unless city-sponsored). All requests must be approved by APD and paid in advance. There is no guarantee of fulfillment.

For more information or to request Chief’s Overtime please visit the Off-Duty Management site.

24/7 Number: 505-498-0954