Guidelines for Publicly Financed Candidates
Applicants may test the waters before filing for candidacy.
- Mayoral Candidates: Jan. 1 to Feb. 15, 2017
- City Council Candidates: March 15 to April 30, 2017
Information about the Qualifying Period
- Mayoral Candidate: Feb. 16 to March 31, 2017
Mayoral Applicant Candidates must receive Qualifying Contributions from 1 percent of the registered voters in the City of Albuquerque. The number of Qualiying Contributions required for the 2017 mayoral race are 3,802.
- City Council Candidates: May 1 to May 31, 2017
Applicant Candidates must receive Qualifying Contributions from 1 percent of the registered voters in the district the candidate wishes to represent. The number of Qualifying Contributions required for the 2017council races are:
- District 1: 381
- District 3: 282
- District 5: 460
- District 7: 464
- District 9: 418
Districts 2, 4, 6, and 8 are not elected in the 2017 Municipal Election.
In addition to qualifying for public financing, Applicant Candidates must also gather petition signatures pursuant to the City Charter and Ordinances.
- Candidates for Mayor must gather more than 3,000 signatures from registered voters within the City of Albuquerque from Feb. 16 to April 28, 2017.
- Candidates for City Council must gather more than 500 signatures from registered voters within the district the candidate wishes to represent from May 1 to June 28, 2017.