Dia De Los Muertos Art Reception
South Broadway Cultural Center is continuing a long tradition of celebrating Dia de Los Muertos in a free event with a large art exihibition and much more.
About Day of the Dead
Considered to be a cultural treasure by those in the surrounding community, the annual celebration brings a large number of people to the South Broadway Cultural Center to celebrate Dia de Los Muertos/Day of the Dead on Nov. 1, in connection to The Catholic holiday of All Saints Day celebrated worldwide each year. The tradition originated in Mexico and is still practiced among indigenous people there. Traditionally, Dia de Los Muertos involves visits to the gravesites of loved ones, where often elaborate decorations are placed.
Co-sponsored by the Consulado de Mexico, the celebration focuses not on death, but on celebrating the lives that have gone ahead -- the natural progression.
The Dia de Los Muertos celebration will feature both traditional and contemporary ofrendas (offerings) to honor the deceased. A community ofrenda will be created on which members of the public may place photographs of their departed loved ones.
Our sponsors will support the creation of special ofrendas and will announce the ofrenda winners at 1:15 p.m.
The celebration will take place throughout the South Broadway Cultural Center and South Broadway Library. In the large community room will be the "Dead Market," an artists' market with themed art, jewelry and other objects celebrating Dia de Los Muertos, Others will exhibit their art in the Library, where a "Dead Poets Ofrenda" will be on display.
Cars, Food & More!
Come and enjoy a Free Show n Shine! All are welcome to display their Low Riders, Classic, Traditional, or Volkswagen cars.
Food Trucks offering both traditional Mexican fare and typical American food like hamburgers and hot dogs will be onsite.
This traditional celebration offers a lot of fun experiences!
This year's program will include:
- 11 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. - Opening Ceremonies with Aztec Dancers
- Noon to 12:30 p.m. - La Rondalla de Albuquerque in the MPR, Gallery, Library
- 12:40 p.m. to 1:10 p.m. - La Rondalla de Albuquerque in the John Lewis Theatre
- 1:15 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. - Consulado de Mexico: Announces Ofrenda Winners
- 1:50 p.m. to 2:05 p.m. - Ballet Folklorico Fiesta Mexicana
- 2:30 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. - Bohemia Viva
- 3:30 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. - Ballet Folklorico Fiesta Mexicana
- 4:30pm to 5:30 p.m. - Carlos Medina Y Los Gallos
- 5:30 to 6 - Carlos Medina Comedy