About the Zuni Road Improvements in District 6.
Why This Project Matters
This project is important because it will improve the safety of Zuni Road.
Department of Municipal Development Contact
This project will reconfigure Zuni Road to improve traffic safety for motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists.
Summer 2014: A public meeting was held on August 19 to discuss the next steps for this project.
This project focuses on Zuni Road between Washington Street and Central Avenue. View a map of this project.
This project will reconfigure the cross-section of Zuni Road to improve traffic safety, provide safe crossings for pedestrians, provide wider sidewalks, and add bicycle lanes for cyclists.
The Zuni Road Improvements Project is proposed for Zuni Road between Washington Street and Central Avenue, a length of approximately 2.9 miles. The Zuni Road Improvements Project would provide operational improvements for pedestrians, bicycles and vehicles on Zuni Road.
This project proposes to:
- reduce the number of driving lanes to provide for widened sidewalks
- add bicycle lanes
- reduce vehicle speeds
Proposed cross sections are:
- Zuni Road from Washington Street to San Mateo Boulevard would have 4 driving lanes (2 lanes in each direction), bicycle lanes, and a raised median.
- Zuni Road from San Mateo Boulevard to Central Avenue would have 3 lanes (1 driving lane in each direction and a center turn lane) and bicycle lanes.
Along the entire corridor, sidewalks would be 5-6 feet wide, and possibly wider in some areas. The existing curb and gutter would be replaced with new curb and gutter. The existing pavement would be milled, overlaid and restriped for the new lane configurations. Existing traffic signals and intersections would be modified where needed to address Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards, accommodate the new lane geometry, and accommodate the added width where right-turn lanes are proposed. Landscaping, roadway lighting, storm drainage adjustments, and bus shelters would be developed as necessary.
All dates occurring in the future are approximate and subject to change.
- Summer 2011: Beginning of study.
- Fall 2013: Project planning completed.
- Spring 2014: Completion of topographic and property line survey completed.
- Fall 2014: Analysis of survey to determine right-of-way requirements and adjustments.
- Winter 2014: Acquisition of funding for construction.
- Summer 2015: Estimated completion for design, engineering and environmental services by Parametrix.
- Summer 2015: Acquisition of right-of-way at several intersections for turn lanes.
- Summer 2016: Construction of improvements.
|Meeting Date||Handouts, Minutes and Presentations|
|August 19, 2014||Handout|
|July 20, 2011||Meeting Notes & Summary|
|May 4, 2011||Meeting Notes & Summary|
|February 9, 2011||Meeting Notes & Summary|
|January 2013: Zuni Geometric Analysis||Analysis|
Proposed improvements to Zuni by roadway segment
|August 2011: Zuni Road Study Final Report|