



Transit Advisory Board

Thursday, April 14, 2022

4:00-5:30 pm

In Person Meeting at

Alvarado Transportation Center

100 1st St SW

2nd Floor, Santa Fe Training/Conference Room

Albuquerque, NM 87102

OR

Virtual Meeting (Online) Via ZOOM

Meeting ID: 863 2251 1156

Phone#: 1 669 900 6833 or 1 253 215 8782

Members Present

Christopher Ramirez, Chair (ZOOM); Patricia Salisbury, Vice-Chair (PHONE); Harris Balkin (ZOOM); Ryan Lee Haack (ABSENT) Jennifer Jackson (ZOOM); Don McIver (ZOOM); Rikk Murphy (ATC/ZOOM); Steve Pilon (ZOOM), Hodgins Serrullo (ABSENT); Jacqueline Smith, PTAB (ABSENT)

Staff Members Present

Chris Bergs, Business Specialist III (ZOOM); Stephanie Dominguez, Interim Director (ZOOM); Karen Lopez, Fiscal Manager (ZOOM); Margaret Lucero, Executive Assistant (ATC/ZOOM); Chris Payton, Associate Director (ZOOM); Bobby Sisneros, Deputy Director (ZOOM)

Visitors Present

Peter Rice, Downtown Albuquerque News (ZOOM), Althea Atherton (ZOOM); Patrick Burton (ZOOM); Rachel Swanteson-Franz, The Wilderness Society (ZOOM); Dionna Arellano, Constituent Service Rep, City of Albuquerque (ZOOM); Abi Olvera (ZOOM) Mag Kim, Together for Brothers (ZOOM), Rex Colorado (ZOOM); Ron Marr (ZOOM)

Land Acknowledgement

Chair Ramirez would like to start off the meeting with a land acknowledgement. The City of Albuquerque is on indigenous land and referred to as Tiwa land. That is currently represented by Sandia and Isleta pueblos. We ask for permission and blessing for us to be here and serve the community.

Call to Order

Christopher Ramirez, Chair, began the meeting at 4:03 pm.

Approval of Agenda or Additions

Chair Ramirez asked for a motion to approve the agenda. Don McIver motioned to approve the agenda, Harris Balkin 2nd the motion. The motion was voice approved by Harris Balkin, Jennifer Jackson, Don McIver, Rikk Murphy, Steve Pilon and Patricia Salisbury.

Approval of Minutes

Chair Ramirez asked for a motion to approve the March 10 minutes. Rikk Murphy motioned to approve the meeting minutes, Jenny Jackson 2nd the motion. The motion was voice approved by Harris Balkin, Jennifer Jackson, Don McIver, Rikk Murphy and Steve Pilon. *Patricia Salisbury was having audio issues.*

Public Comment – *Reminder there is a 2 minute limit on Public Comment(s).*

Patrick Burton: When will Eubank bus be extended on Kirtland base?

TAB Chairperson's Report – Christopher Ramirez, Chair

Christopher Ramirez: I'd like to invite Richard Weiner, ADA Consultant to present to TAB. Community safety around buses and bus stops is important to me as a transit rider and community organizer for transit equity we want to work with transit to look at options of transit ambassadors program. They can help de-escalate situations. *Shared link in chat regarding national poetry as a way to share zero fare stories*

Mag Kim: I've been going out one to four times a week, collecting surveys, at bus stops and facilities (ATC). We focus on transit dependent riders. We've collected 118 surveys.
Shared survey responses

Christopher Ramirez: Mayor Keller has moved to include 1.5 million in the fiscal year 23 budget which will extend zero fares through June 2023. The budget also currently includes funding of \$400,000 for assessment for zero fares.

Rikk Murphy: Can you share those stories with Council?

Christopher Ramirez: Yes, Transit will share those stories in their zero fares report which Council will be receiving.

Director's Report-Stephanie Dominguez, Interim Transit Director

Stephanie Dominguez: *shared screen Monthly Report February 2022*

We're looking to include stories in the March and future reports.

Comparing January 2022 to February 2022; ridership, security calls, Customer Service, Sun Van Applications, and Maintenance. Definitions of Security call types.

Christopher Ramirez: Can you do an over view of security policy for a security call?

Stephanie Dominguez: *inaudible audio/mic issues*

Bobby Sisneros: Electric bus update; three electric buses in town, expecting additional two soon and should have them on the road by June.

Don McIver: Will electric buses be assigned to a specific route?

Chris Payton: Yes, assigned to a specific route, because length of time they can be on the road.

Stephanie Dominguez: There's different strategies drivers use to address issues on the bus, announcing over the speaker general reminders, talking with the passenger one on one or call security. Each driver has a different comfort level of dealing with passengers/issues, depending on the situation. Once call is made to security a mobile unit is dispatched in addition to a Transit supervisor and they try to mitigate situations at the lowest level. Website and buses are updated with passenger rules. Security has "Rules to Ride" and ADC cards to pass out as well.

Steve Pilon: Can you include revenue losses on Zero Fares report?

Stephanie Dominguez: We will report on financial data in the March report.

Jenny Jackson: Rise in vandalism cost is concerning. Can we see ridership vs cost? To get a better since if vandalism costs are going up since free fares have been implemented? Is vandalism related to free fares?

Don McIver: How do we get a consistency on security reports, if it's under driver discretion? How does that get factored in security instances?

Stephanie Dominguez: DMD being dispatched directly, contacting 311. We're giving the drivers the best tools during de-escalating training to get everyone on the same level.

Rikk Murphy: There seems to be inconsistency of enforcing passenger rules, if that's something that can be addressed. Is there a way we can get the cost of vandalism out to riders, so they see the amount its costing tax payers.

Christopher Ramirez: Can we see safety incidents and vandalism at bus stops versus on buses and how they're related to free fares?

Steve Pilon: Where are most security incidents and vandalism happening and what incidents are?

Stephanie Dominguez: We'll continue to report security data based on route.

Christopher Ramirez: Also at bus stops and transfer centers.

Action Items:

Christopher Ramirez: *Shared screen: Transit Advisory Board (TAB) Working Groups and added suggestions of TAB members*

TAB committees/Working Groups: bus rider engagement, bus stop maintenance, bus and bus stop safety, bus route frequency and expansion.

Harris Balkin: Increase ridership on other neighborhoods that are already serviced.

Jenny Jackson: Bus route frequency and asset allocation.

Rikk Murphy: Community engagement and why people do not ride buses, educate drivers on hawk signals work.

Don McIver: Bus stop maintenance, adopt bus stops for cleanup.

Steve Pilon: Integrating bikes with buses, raise money for Transit Department.

Patricia Salisbury: Support Transit staff and appoint a Chair.

Information Items:

Stephanie Dominguez: Reminder TSA extended mask mandate to May 3.

Karen Lopez: FY/23- Budget Presentation. April 28 Presentation of Social Goal Departments and public comment, May 5 Presentation of Physical Goals, public comments, Transit will be presenting, May 12 Budget Markup, no public comment, May 16 regular council meeting for final budget adoption.

Proposed Budget is 62.8 million, FY/23 FTE count is 552 transit positions, 67 positions are grant funded.

Christopher Ramirez: When will 40 million dollars from federal will be coming?

Stephanie Dominguez: No additional information at this time.

Bobby Sisneros: Keep Albuquerque Beautiful is a Solid Waste program. On June 11 they will help with cleaning twenty bus stops. We're looking for ten teams of two. We'd like to work with community partners and neighborhood associations. Adopt a Stop will also be there to help promote. I will share more details.

Second Round of Public Comment (Reminder there is a 2 minute limit on Public Comment(s)).

Dionna Arellano: Feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns.

Adjournment

Meeting ended at 5:27 pm

Next Meeting: Thursday, May 12, 2022; 4:00 PM via online (ZOOM) or in person

Below are the chat messages exchanged during the ZOOM Meeting

00:02:41 Christopher (they or he) Tiwa Lands: Good afternoon and thanks Margaret. Just confirming with nine active member we need a quorum of five to begin. Correct?

00:03:10 Margaret Lucero, Executive Assistant: Correct

00:14:36 Don McIver: Peter Rice-just joined.

00:20:19 Christopher (they or he) Tiwa Lands: <https://www.togetherforbrothers.org/poetrymonthandzerofares>

00:24:14 Abi Olvera: Wow, that's wonderful.

00:25:30 Christopher (they or he) Tiwa Lands: Thanks again Mag - we are at time, can you please wrap it up?

00:26:39 Mag Kim: <https://bit.ly/zerofaressurvey>

00:27:06 Mag Kim: [Bit.ly/PMZFabq](https://bit.ly/PMZFabq)

00:27:08 Mag Kim: [Bit.ly/PMZFabq](https://bit.ly/PMZFabq)

00:31:27 Patricia salisbury: V great stories!

00:31:47 Christopher (they or he) Tiwa Lands: Welcome Peter!

00:32:19 Mag Kim: If folks here could fill the survey out and see what it's like so we could also get YOUR opinions as well as sharing it with others that ride the bus, here's the link again: [Bit.ly/PMZFabq](https://bit.ly/PMZFabq)

00:32:49 Mag Kim: [Bit.ly/zerofaressurvey](https://bit.ly/zerofaressurvey)

00:33:51 Mag Kim: Apologies, folks told me I put the wrong link in, but the correct survey to take for Zero Fares is: <https://bit.ly/zerofaressurvey>

00:34:53 Steve Pilon: poor audio quality

00:36:33 Christopher (they or he) Tiwa Lands: Thanks Stephanie

00:38:49 Mag Kim: We can't hear you, Stephanie! I'm sorry!

00:38:59 Mag Kim: Yeah, you're fading in and out!

00:39:36 Mag Kim: Still fading in and out, I'm so sorry!

00:41:19 Patricia salisbury: I can't hear

00:41:20 Christopher (they or he) Tiwa Lands: Is the sound still going in and out for others

00:41:27 Mag Kim: Yeah, I can't hear

00:41:36 Ron Marr: Yes, it is still fading in and out.

00:41:54 Don McIver: Is this information embedded in the report? If so, maybe just link the report here?

00:45:04 Mag Kim: My question was just answered, thank you!

00:47:05 Margaret Lucero, Executive Assistant: Proterra

00:55:43 Patricia salisbury: I agree

00:57:52 Patricia salisbury: Maybe the security committee could take a closer look at this issue

00:59:12 Patricia salisbury: I made a suggestion in the chat

00:59:55 Mag Kim: If you look at national transit statistics, vandalism is nothing new and naturally coincides with accessibility. Not just that, but most city departments also collect vandalism data but divides it into specific contexts (i.e. scratched windows, broken benches, spray paint graffiti).

01:00:42 Althea "Alymay" Atherton (they/them): These are great points about the definitions of safety, Christopher, thank you

01:03:01 Christopher (they or he) Tiwa Lands: I want to be careful about connecting vandalism to homeless communities.

01:04:02 Patricia salisbury: I agree with Chris. All kinds of people may vandalize!

01:04:35 Christopher (they or he) Tiwa Lands:
https://jamboard.google.com/d/1KnhyWIO3dhh1S76k0MCR1mRLqn_1LqP5p9kTsyR16b0/edit?usp=sharing

01:07:14 Don McIver: So, our neighborhood association just participated in Neighborhood Cleanup day for the SE quadrant. I'm wondering if we could work with Neighborhood Associations to adopt bus stops in their neighborhoods?

01:11:16 Mag Kim: That's sounds like a great idea, Don!

01:15:19 Patrick: I'm not sure which category this fits under, but last-mile connections are needed. A replacement for Pace bikeshare, scooters, and other micro-mobility integration would be helpful.

01:15:49 Christopher (they or he) Tiwa Lands: Thanks Patrick

01:16:48 Abi Olvera: Working group suggestion: road safety/structural changes that can make the bus more attractive/faster/efficient compared to driving. i.e. a high occupancy vehicle lane that is also a bus lane (high occupancy vehicle lane requires 2 or 3 occupants in car) DC and VA does this.

01:17:13 Dionna Arellano (she/her): (Yellow) I have a very enthusiastic constituent that always calls to say that we need to do a better job at promoting Zero Fares such as PSA's on the radio and TV. :)

01:17:51 Althea "Alymay" Atherton (they/them): Encouraging businesses, especially bars and cannabis consumption sites, to advertise which bus route(s) serve them on their materials

01:18:03 Christopher (they or he) Tiwa Lands: April 28, May 5 and May 12 — Committee-of-the-Whole Meetings

01:18:40 Christopher (they or he) Tiwa Lands: <https://www.cabq.gov/council/council-meeting-schedules/council-committee-schedules#committee-of-the-whole---fy23-operating-budget-schedule>

01:20:41 Margaret Lucero, Executive Assistant: Yes Karen I can do that

01:22:16 Christopher (they or he) Tiwa Lands: Thanks Karen for sharing the slides

01:27:40 Don McIver: 2nd Thursday....

01:28:44 Abi Olvera: Thank you so much for all the amazing work you all do. Seriously. 😊