City of Albuquerque Offers Christmas Tree Recycling

Recycle your real Christmas tree for free beginning December 28

Dec. 28, 2020

The Solid Waste Management Department, Parks and Recreation, and PNM will recycle real Christmas trees for free at three separate locations in Albuquerque beginning December 28, 2020. No artificial trees will be accepted.

“Last year, Burqueños helped to recycle over 7,500 Christmas trees and we are looking forward to another successful event this year,” stated Matthew Whelan, Director of the Solid Waste Management Department. “Through this event we are able to keep trees out of the landfill and offer the mulch to residents for reuse in their gardens while supplies last.”

PNM Vegetation Management crews and Parks and Recreation staff will grind trees into mulch chips, which can then be used as mulch to provide a better growing environment for plants and residential landscapes. Residents can pick up the mulch free of charge while supplies last.

“PNM is a proud member of this community and we are dedicated to environmental stewardship and sustainability,” said Anne Beard, PNM manager of Vegetation Management. “We are excited to be a part of this event each year to help provide Albuquerque and Rio Rancho residents an easy way to recycle their old Christmas trees.”

Trees may be dropped off between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday, December 28 through Sunday, January 10, 2021 at the following locations:

  • Montessa Park Convenience Center, 3512 Los Picaros SE, 768-3930
  • Eagle Rock Convenience Center, 6301 Eagle Rock NE, 768-3925
  • Ladera Golf Course, 3401 Ladera Dr NW, 836-4449

Please remove all bags, tree stands, decorations and lights from trees before dropping them off to be mulched. Limit 5 trees per resident, no commercial customers.

To keep us in the Holiday spirit of giving we are also collecting non-food donations for cats and dogs to benefit the Animal Welfare Department. Collection of these items will take place only at our Eagle Rock Convenience Center location.

For more information call 311, TTY 711, or visit