Open Space Fire Restrictions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Open Space fire restrictions.

The level of restriction on Open Space lands is Level I year-round (see definitions). At times of heightened fire danger the restrictions may change. The City of Albuquerque Open Space Division works in conjunction with Cibola National Forest to maintain the safety of the Albuquerque foothills and mountain areas during times of high fire danger.

Citizens of Albuquerque know that New Mexico continues to be in a state of drought this year. With the large amount of dry-vegetative fuels, high temperatures, and high winds, conditions are ripe for large scale fires. A wildland fire in Major Public Open Space would be devastating to our community and damage the affected open space area for generations.


Frequently Asked Questions

How can I help?

Call 242-COPS to report trespass, dangerous or illegal activity, smoking, etc. Before you call, take note of important information such as cross streets, addresses, description of activity, etc. 

To report illegal fireworks, visit call (505) 798-7000. In Rio Rancho, call (505) 891-7226 

What should I do if I see a fire?

  • Call 911 if you see fire. Take note of the nearest physical address and/or cross streets, or nearby landmarks.
  • Call  242-COPS for non-emergency situations.
  • Most importantly, be safe. Never approach smoke or fire. Leave the area as soon as you detect it and then call 911.

If there is a Closure, where can I take my family to spend some time outdoors?

City parks, public pools and many other recreational facilities in the area are still open to the public. See the City’s website for a list of other recreation options, events and activities throughout Albuquerque.

Cultural Services also offers excellent summertime fun such as the Zoo and BioPark, and museums.

Tingley Beach (managed by Cultural Services), is also open.

Citizens can also enjoy all bicycle trails that are outside of the Open Space network.