Skip to main content

Fire Restrictions and Closures on Open Space

Information on fire restrictions on Major Public Open Space lands.

Why are fire restrictions and closures necessary?

Citizens of Albuquerque know that New Mexico is in a state of extreme drought. In fact, most of New Mexico has been in severe drought the several years, and the drought may continue for several more years.

With the large amount of dry-vegetative fuels, high temperatures, and high winds, conditions are ripe for large scale fires. A wildland fire in Major Public Open Space would be devastating to our community and damage the affected open space area for generations.

During the year it may be necessary to enact fire restrictions or even close certain Open Space areas to the public.

Where can I learn more about fire restrictions?

The following is a list of website where you can learn about fire restrictions, red flag warnings, and Albuquerque Fire Department other agencies and their policies.

If there is a Closure, where can I take my family to spend some time outdoors?

City parks, public pools and many other recreational facilities in the area are still open to the public. See the City’s website for a list of other recreation options, events and activities throughout Albuquerque.

Cultural Services also offers excellent summertime fun such as the Zoo and BioPark, and museums.

Tingley Beach (managed by Cultural Services), is also open.

Citizens can also enjoy all bicycle trails that are outside of the Open Space network.

When do Open Space areas reopen if there is a closure?

Areas remain closed until the City receives substantial rainfall. The City of Albuquerque will announce the reopening of Open Space areas in a press release and the information will be posted our website.

How can I help?

Call Open Space Dispatch at 505-452-5206 seven days a week during business hours, or 505-242-COPS to report trespass, dangerous or illegal activity, smoking, etc. Before you call, take note of important information such as cross streets, addresses, description of activity, etc.

To report illegal fireworks, call 505-833-7390. From 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. on July 2 to July 4, call 505-833-7335.

What should I do if I see a fire?

  • Call 911 if you see fire. Take note of the nearest physical address and/or cross streets, or nearby landmarks.
  • Call Open Space Dispatch at 505-452-5206 seven days a week during business hours, or 505-242-COPS for non-emergency situations.
  • Most importantly, BE SAFE! Never approach smoke or fire. Leave the area as soon as you detect it and then call 911.