Tables are an effective tool for organizing and presenting data. Whether it's listing operation hours, admission prices or voter turnout, tables can make words and numbers readable. Plone makes creating and editing tables easy.
However, tables are difficult for screen readers to interpret. Before creating a table, explore using headings, lists, or another tool to present your data. Use tables sparingly!
Set the Table: The Basics
Tables have three primary elements: rows, columns and the heading.
Rows are sets of data arranged horizontally. Columns are the sets arranged vertically.
The Heading is the row of cells that appear at the top of a table. This is used to describe the contents of each column. Headings are optional but encouraged.
Fresh Tables from Scratch
To create a new table, click the table icon -- it looks like this -- in the Tool Bar.
A dialog box will appear, offering four characteristics: Class, Columns, Rows,and Summary.
- Class - This allows for several preset options for how your table will appear. You can experiment with these options. We recommend an option that includes a visible grid.
- Columns - Enter in this field the quantity of columns you need.
- Rows - Enter in this field the quantity of rows you need for your new table.
- Summary - Again, we suggest headings for tables to describe the data in the columns.
- Advanced - Under the Advanced link at the top, you can choose to include a Table Caption. We recommend including a Table Caption, or heading, to give readers more information about the data you are presenting.
- Click "Insert" to add the table to your Body Text.
- Place your cursor inside a cell to add your information. You can drag the corners of the table to change its size.
Editing Contents in a Table
You can change the format of text within the data cells. You also can add or remove data cells to existing tables. Simply highlight the information within the cell that you want to edit. Then, make your changes to content or formatting. You can adjust the formatting using any of the tools in the Tool Bar, as you would with any other body text.
Adding Columns and Rows
Plone makes adding and removing table columns and rows easy as a mouse click.
There are a few ways to add a column or row. We suggest using the mouse and the following steps:
- Determine where you want to add the row or column. Place your cursor at that location.
- Choose the Insert Row Above or Below , or Insert Column Left or Right from the Tool Bar.
- A new blank column or row will appear. Add the information needed.
Removing Columns and Rows
It is even easier to remove unwanted columns and rows.
- Highlight a cell within the column or row which you want to delete.
- Click the Delete Column or Delete Row icon from the toolbar.