Bicycle Laws and Safety Tips
Follow these tips to stay safe while bicycling in ABQ.
- Go with the Flow, never ride against traffic.
- Ride in the right most lane serving your destination.
- Always have 3 feet of clear space on your right.
- Wear a helmet; you only have one brain protect it.
- Must have headlights and taillights & rear reflectors while riding at night.
- STOP completely at Stop Signs and Yellow/Red Lights.
- Look left, look right, look left again at all intersections.
- Be seen; wear bright colors and reflective vests.
- Pedal in a straight line, cars don’t weave nor should you.
- Scan over your shoulder for vehicles often.
- Be aware for potholes, cars entering roadway, kids, etc.
- Use hand signals when safe to do so.
- Don’t pass on the right, unless you are in a bike lane.
- Use the Bike Lane & Bike Boxes
- Make sure your bike is mechanically sound, brakes work.
- Don’t exceed the speed limit. Announce yourself to pedestrians before you pass them.
- Don’t pedal your bike while under the influence.
- Drive your Bike as you would drive a Car.