Commercial haulers with valid permits may dispose of trash at the Cerro Colorado landfill.
The Cerro Colorado landfill is located approximately 20 miles southwest of downtown Albuquerque. Take Exit 149 (Paseo del Volcan) off I-40 West. Go south across Central Avenue and then follow the signs on the south side frontage road west to the landfill.
7 a.m. - 5 p.m., seven days a week; closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.
Please note that fees below go into effect July 1, 2010. Taxes are not included in the fees quoted.
- $30/ton, municipal waste
- $39.86/ton, special burial (materials needing immediate burial, including dead animals)
- Petroleum contaminated soils 1,000 ppm or less $26.25 per ton, 15,000 ppm or less $31.50 per ton, 15,000ppm or greater $47.25 per ton.
- $116.48/ton, used tires
- $5.54 extra for an uncovered or unsecured load.
The City of Albuquerque Hauling Permit application is available online for use of the Cerro Colorado Landfill or the Convenience Centers. The permit is required annually to haul refuse within the Albuquerque City Limits. The hauling permit fee is $12 for the first vehicle and $3 any additional vehicles. The Solid Waste Department will issue a hauling permit and a permit sticker to be placed on the windshield of each registered vehicle. Hauling permits may be purchased in person at the Solid Waste Management Department located at 4600 Edith NE or by mail.
Please Note: Hauling permits must be renewed every calendar year.
Download a City of Albuquerque Hauling Permit application.
To obtain any of the following permits, call the landfill at (505) 761-8300.
- New Mexico Environment Department, Solid Waste Facility permit No. OP1990-03SW. Meets EPA Subtitle D requirements.
- EPA ID No. NM0986684132 for Section 3010 of RCRA Notification of Regulated Waste Activity.
- NPDES Storm Water Multi-Sector Permit No. NMR05A337.
- Title V Air Quality Permit, application submitted March 13, 1996.