ABQ Recycles: Recycling Cart Program
Video: How to Recycle
In November 2011, the City of Albuquerque signed a 12-year agreement with Friedman Recycling. The agreement is in step with the . Cart-based curbside recycling and a larger variety of acceptable materials are both realities to the new partnership.
In May 2013, the Solid Waste Management Department began to distribute more than 140,000 carts to each of their residential customers in the City.
How to Recycle Using Your New Blue Curbside Recycling Cart
The following are tips to help explain this program to you, so that you can use your new City-issued 96 Gallon Blue Recycling Cart correctly.
- Do Not place plastic bags in your blue cart.
- All approved items can be placed in the blue cart, including cardboard.
- Place your cart out at the curb no later than 7 a.m. on your regular pick-up day.
- Make sure that the front of the cart faces the street.
- Place your cart 5 feet away from all obstructions, including cars, poles, and additional carts.
- Please don't load your cart with more than 150 lbs.
- The lid of your cart must close with ease.
- If your cart is damaged or broken, missing or stolen, please call 311 for a replacement.
- Material left outside your cart will not be picked up.
Video: Recycle Paper
Video: Recycle Metal
Video: Recycle Plastic
Milk and Juice Boxes
Brown Paper Bags
Paper Egg Cartons
#1 - #7 Plastics Bottle/Tubs
Rigid Plastic Toys/Hampers
Foil & Pie Pans
Pots & Pans
Periódicos y Revistas
Basura del Correo
Papel de Oficina
Cartón del Cereal
Cartones de Leche o Jugo
Bolsas de Papel de Color Café
Empaques de Carton de Huevos
Botellas de Plástico #1-#7
Juguetes/Canastas de Plástico Duro
Latas de Aluminio
Latas de Enlatados
Papel de Aluminio/Moldes de Pastel
Ollas y Sartenes
|Do Not Place In Cart||No Ponga En Su Carreta|
Motor Oil Bottles
Plastic Grocery Bags
Desechos del Jardín
Aceite de Motor en Botellas
Espuma de Poliestireno
Monitores de Computadoras
Bolsas de Plástico del Mercado
Papel de envolver
Please place cart five feet away from trash cart. We will no longer accept recycling in clear plastic bags.
Haga el favor de separar la carreta a cinco piés de la carreta de basura. Ya no aceptaremos reciclaje en bolsas de plástico transparente.
Glass Is Prohibited - Please DO NOT put glass in your cart
At this time, glass is not accepted as part of our "Curbside Recycling Pilot Program." However, glass jars, beer and wine bottles, baby food jars, and salad dressing jars can be taken to one of our 14 recycling drop-off sites. Find the most convenient sites for you!
New Collection Trucks
Our old recycling bag program was a completely manual operation. We had a fleet of yellow trucks designed for manual service. Each of our recycling drivers had to get out of the yellow trucks, manually lift each bag of recycling material and place the bags into the yellow trucks.
The new recycling cart program is a completely automated operation. Our drivers will now be driving a blue truck that comes equipped with an arm and gripper that will be used to service the blue recycling carts. By going to a fully automated system injuries will be reduced and a safer work environment will be created.
These trucks will be clearly marked with either a vinyl wrap promoting recycling or a flip sign. On those days that the trucks with flip signs are not needed to help collect recycling material they will be utilized to collect refuse. While collecting recycling material the signs will be open like the one pictured to the right.
What Happens To Recycling Material After It Is Collected?
- The Solid Waste Management Department services approximately 178,000 residential customers each week.
- 21 routes and 21 trucks are used to collect recycling material in ABQ each week.
- 23,052 tons have been collected so far in FY14.
- On average 2,305 tons are collected each month.
- All material collected from Solid Waste Management Department customers is delivered to Friedman Recycling located on Edith NE.
- Through the public/private partnership with Friedman Recycling the Solid Waste Management Department continues to receive funds for the material that has been delivered to them.