We know you will enjoy the eight weeks of informative packed sessions, demonstrations, and perhaps, a patrol ride-along. In order to efficiently cover the multitude of topics in this program, the information is presented in a fast-paced, yet comprehensive format.
Students are not cadets and will not at any time identify themselves as an employee of the City of Albuquerque, or as a peace officer trainee. If you have any concerns or questions during the Academy, please contact Officer Jesus Garay, Coordinator of the Citizen Police Academy information at bottom of page).
- DRESS CODE: Comfortable and casual attire is encouraged; however, cutoffs, tank tops, or similar attire are not permitted. T-shirts with objectionable slogans or graphics are prohibited.
- ATTENDANCE: You are expected to attend all sessions. The class coordinator has the discretion to approve absences in advance. We understand that emergencies do occur. If you are unable to attend a session, please call. Last minute absences can be reported the following day. Three absences will constitute a failure to complete, and you will not graduate. However, one can make up the missed sessions and graduate with the ensuing class
- TARDINESS: Out of courtesy to the instructor(s) and your fellow students, please arrive on time.
- VISITORS: Due to the confidential material, under-cover agents, and officer safety, the citizen police academy is closed to all but students and alumni only, unless authorized.
- BREAKS: Your breaks are scheduled hourly. Please take care of personal matters during the breaks and refrain from leaving the room during the sessions.
- WEAPONS: Weapons of any kind are prohibited (except those carried by State licensed peace officers). Any student who is opposed to holding or shooting a firearm during the I.C.A.T. and range session, will not be required to do so.
- TOBACCO PRODUCTS: No smoking or other tobacco use is permitted in the building. Smoking is permitted in designated areas outside the building.
- STUDENT CONDUCT: All students are expected to behave in a professional manner. Negative or disruptive behavior which impedes the learning environment will not be tolerated.
- CELLULAR PHONES/PAGERS: Please turn your cellular phones and pagers off, or set them to silent/vibrate mode.
- WAIVER OF LIABILITY: All students MUST sign a waiver of liability before participating in the ride-along program.
Please submit comments or questions to Officer Gerald Sandoval, CPA Coordinator, at (505) 343-5009