Contact: Carol Toffaleti, Senior Planner – tel 505-924-3345 – fax 505-924-3339
In September 2010 Councilors Ken Sanchez and Isaac Benton, and the City of Albuquerque Planning Department launched an update of this sector development plan, originally adopted in 1987. The existing plan area is essentially a corridor and the adjacent properties along West Central Avenue that extend from the Rio Grande River to I-40, a stretch of almost 7 miles. The new plan area extends from around 106th Street (the county line) to Rio Grande Boulevard.
The new draft plan contains goals, policies, regulations and recommendations for land use and zoning, transportation, parks, trails, city services and infrastructure. Together they aim to fulfill West Central’s potential as a full-service, multi-modal destination for residents and visitors. The plan was developed with input from residents, business- and property-owners during the year and a half long planning process, and reflects current city policy, existing conditions and other projects affecting the corridor.
The West Route 66 planning team comprises Council and Planning Department staff and consultant Strata Design.
Bernalillo County has launched its own planning effort for the remainder of the corridor, extending to I-40. For more information, contact Enrico Gradi, Community Development, Manager, Bernalillo County, 505-314-0385.
Update - May 21, 2013
A WR66 SDP Open House will be held on Thursday, May 30, 2013, from 3-6:30 PM at the Alamosa Community Center, located at 6900 Gonzales Rd., SW, 87121. This is an opportunity to learn more about what the Plan is recommending and why, and to discuss components that are of particular interest to you with City staff, such as capital improvement projects and the zoning and design standards for different parts of the corridor.
If you have specific questions or concerns about how the Plan affects your property or properties, please also consider setting up a time to meet or discuss them by phone with City staff (see first contact below).
The WR66 SDP (City Council bill number R-12-122) will be heard by the City Council’s Land Use, Planning and Zoning Committee (LUPZ) at its meeting on Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 5 PM, City Council Committee Room, City/County Government Center, One Civic Plaza NW, 9th Floor. Public comment will be taken at this hearing, and Civic Plaza parking will be validated. This will be the first of at least two required hearings before the LUPZ Committee.
If you wish to submit written comments on the WR66 SDP (R-12-122) to the first LUPZ Committee, please send them by Friday, June 7, 2013, to: Crystal Ortega, Clerk of the Council, Albuquerque City Council, P.O. Box 1293, Albuquerque, NM 87103, or email@example.com.
Your feedback is welcome on all aspects of the Draft Plan so that City staff can gain a better understanding of your concerns and work with you to try to address them during the LUPZ and Council process. .
For information about the WR66SDP, to meet with City staff or be added to the email notification list, contact: Carol Toffaleti, Planning Department, 505-924-3345.
For information about the Council and LUPZ schedule and review process, contact: Crystal Ortega, Clerk of the Council.
Attachments to the November 1, 2012 staff report:
The two appeals regarding the project, (AC-12-14) and (AC-12-15), have been resolved. The Council accepted the City’s Land Use Hearing Officer (LUHO) recommendations and denied the appeals.
The public EPC file, including all public comments on the plan, can be viewed at the Planning Department.
Draft West Route 66 Sector Development Plan (2.23.12 EPC)
- WR66 Ch 1 Intro 2-23-12 [pdf, 2.85MB]
- WR66 Ch 2 Goals and Policies 2-23-12 [pdf, 1.52MB]
- WR66 Ch 3 Existing Conditions, Part A 2-23-12 [pdf, 7.54MB]
- WR66 Ch 3 Existing Conditions, Part B 2-23-12 [pdf, 4.66MB]
- WR66 Ch 4 Zoning and Regulations 2-23-12 [pdf, 9.58MB]
- WR66 Ch 5 Recommendations, Part A 2-23-12 [pdf, 10.3MB]
- WR66 Ch 5 Recommendations, Part B 2-23-12 [pdf, 1.12MB]
- WR66 Ch 6 Projects 2-23-12 [pdf, 820KB]
- WR66 Appendices 2-23-12 [pdf, 559KB]
- WR66 Table of Contents 2-23-12 [pdf, 440KB]
- WR66 Existing Zone Maps 2-23-12 [pdf, 2.33MB]
- WR66 Proposed Zone Maps 2-23-12 [pdf, 2.34MB]
- WR66 Activity Centers 2-23-12 [pdf, 0.98KB]
Hard copies are available from the Planning Department, third floor, Plaza del Sol, 600 Second Street NW. Contact Madeline Carruthers, EPC Board Secretary at 505-924-3889.
In addition to the new West Route 66 SDP, the EPC application (Project #1009157) includes related requests to adjust the boundaries of the Tower Unser, Old Town and Huning Castle - Raynolds Addition Sector Development Plans (see below) and certain activity center designations in the West Side Strategic Plan (see WR66 Activity Centers above)
- Old Town SDP [pdf, 116KB]
Community Planning Process
The West Route 66 project team presented a Working Draft of the new plan at a Community meeting on October 25, 2011 attended by property-owners, residents and other stakeholders in the future of West Central Ave.
The community Liaison Committee met over summer 2011 to give feedback to the project team for modifying and developing zoning, and making recommendations on transportation and other elements in the new plan. The committee included neighborhood representatives, business- and property-owners. MRCOG Transportation Planning staff and the Director of ABQ Ride also gave presentations on traffic forecasts and a potential Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in the West Central corridor. See hand-outs and notes below.
- [pdf, 77.5KB]
- Notes from August 17, 2011 meeting [pdf, 79.8]
Hand-outs from August 17, 2011 meeting:
- Form-Based Codes fact sheet [pdf, 258KB]
- “Regional Growth and Traffic Patterns in the West Central Ave Corridor” (MRCOG)About PDF Files [pdf, 3.18MB]
- Notes from September 29, 2011 meeting (incl. ABQ Ride) [pdf, 140KB]
Materials from September 29, 2011 meeting:
A Community meeting to present Options for Implementation took place on Tuesday, March 29, 2011. Below are the strategies that the city project team proposed for the corridor at the meeting and a summary of the discussion:
- Strategies for Land Use, Zoning and Catalytic Projects [pdf, 885KB]
- Notes of the March 29, 2011 Meeting [pdf, 80.3KB]
A Community meeting to present the Outcomes of the three Visioning Workshops took place on February 15, 2011:
- Proposed Plan Area
- Retail Market Analysis : Summary (poster & hand-out)
- East River Addendum (Site Map and Letter)
- UNM Planning Studio Project(poster)
- Community Feedback from Visioning Sessions:
- Visioning Process and General Issues ()
- Visual Analysis of Development Types (images and survey results)
- Land Use & Urban Design (poster & hand-out)
- Other Issues: General, Transportation and Transit (poster)
- Transportation and Transit (hand-out)
- Potential Goals and Objectives for West Central (meeting notes)
Materials from December 7, 2010 East Extension Listening & Visioning Meeting:
- Letter from City Council About PDF Files [pdf, 216KB]
- Agenda for December 7, 2010 meeting About PDF Files [pdf, 73.1KB]
- FAQs about Sector Development Plans[pdf, 121KB]
- Summary of Planning Process To-Date [pdf, 101KB]
- Analysis: Strengths, Opportunities, Weaknesses, Challenges (Survey) [pdf, 64.6KB]
- Economic Health Survey Form [pdf, 64.9]
Notes from October 26, 2010 Listening Meeting [pdf, 101KB]
Notes from October 5, 2010 Listening Meeting [pdf 77KB]
Handouts from September 7, 2010 Community Kick-Off Meeting:
- Agenda [pdf, 65.8 KB]
- Plan boundary [pdf, 202 KB]
- Planning Process [pdf, 82.9 KB]
- Community Survey Form [pdf, 128 KB]