On February 23rd, 2011 the City Council unanimously passed R-10-177. The purpose of this Amendment to the Rank II West Side Strategic (Area) Plan is to provide policies in respect to Environment and Open Space, Transportation, and Land Use. These policies will guide future development of the Volcano Mesa area. A Major Activity Center is also designated to the northeast of the intersection of Paseo del Norte and Unser Boulevard. This Major Activity Center is intended to provide employment and service opportunities and ease traffic congestion by encouraging mixed-use development for what, until now, has been a mostly residential part of the city. The new policies in the amendment will provide the groundwork for future transit and transportation system improvements.
Update as of February 23rd, 2011
- January 12th, 2011 Staff and public comment were noted, received, and responded to. LUPZ recommended a “do pass” to send to the next Council meeting.
- February 7th, 2011 The City Council deferred hearing the amendment until the next meeting.
- February 23rd, 2011 The Amendment was unanimously approved and adopted by Council.
- Volcano Mesa Amendment Resolution
- Volcano Mesa Exhibit A
The Volcano Mesa Amendment to the West Side Strategic Plan
The Westside Strategic Plan amendment was submitted to the Environmental Planning Commission (EPC) for review and recommendation to City Council. The first hearing was Thursday, September 2, 2010. The hearing was continued for 60 days to Thursday, November 4, 2010. At the November EPC Hearing the West Side Strategic Plan amendment was recommended for approval with conditions to the City Council.
- Westside Strategic Plan Amendment Notice of Decision