The Planning Department has submitted amendments to the Volcano Cliffs Sector Development Plan (SDP) for review and approval. The amendments will be considered by the City Council on ’s Land Use, Planning, and Zoning (LUPZ) Committee hearing on Monday, September 15, 2014 at 5 p.m.
Mikaela Renz-Whitmore, 505-924-3932, Long Range Planning
Tony Duran, 505-768-3189, City Council Services.
The Volcano Cliffs SDP is a Rank 3 plan, including goals, policies, and regulations, for an area of approximately 2,300 acres, located along the volcanic Escarpment of the City’s Northwest Mesa in the Volcano Mesa area. The plan envisions a village center with neighborhood-scale retail and services surrounded by the full range of high-quality housing options within walking and biking distance of these services and open space within the Petroglyph National Monument.
Update as of 9/12/14
On February 6, 2014, the Environmental Planning Commission (EPC) voted to recommend approval of text amendments submitted by the Planning Department for the Volcano Cliffs SDP.
The amendments will next be heard by the City Council at its next meeting on Monday, September 15, 2014. The Council is expected to take final action. You are invited and encouraged to participate in the review process. For more details, please see “Opportunities for Review and Comment” below. There are newly proposed changes incorporated in a Greenline draft for Council, which can be downloaded below.
The following proposed changes have been added since the LUPZ hearing on August 13, 2014:
- Updated language about fugitive dust to ensure the enforceability of the regulations and remove the exemption for public rights-of-way and public easements.
- Updated cross sections for Unser Boulevard to incorporate the multi-use trail on the east side.
As originally intended, the Planning Department returned to all three sector development plans in Volcano Mesa after the Volcano Heights SDP was adopted in August 2013 to update the transportation network to be consistent among the three plans, as well as the Rank 2 West Side Strategic Plan Volcano Mesa amendment. In reviewing these plans, other minor items were also identified to be fixed, clarified, and/or adjusted to better meet plan goals.
The zoning map will not be affected, nor will goals and policies change. The proposed changes include the following items:
- Updating transportation standards to be consistent with Volcano Heights SDP, including adding cross sections and access modifications from Volcano Heights SDP and Special Assessment District 228 and renumbering cross sections accordingly to include the full transportation network within Volcano Mesa.
- Clarifying the intent and required right-of-way for local streets at for different land uses and densities.
- Revising zoning standards regarding fences to address inadvertent errors and provide clarity.
- Adding a setback from petroglyphs to General Standards to be consistent with the Volcano Trails SDP.
- Revising General Standards regarding residential garages and utilities to be consistent with the Volcano Heights SDP.
- Revising General Regulations regarding plant lists, color restrictions, and grading to be consistent with Volcano Heights SDP.
- Adding a definition to General Regulations for significant rock outcroppings, which are called out in the calculation of density, to be consistent with the Volcano Trails SDP.
- Revising the plant list to be consistent with the Volcano Heights SDP.
Draft Amendments for Review
The most recent amendments are available as a greenline draft below.
- Volcano Cliffs SDP – LUPZ Blueline Draft Amendments 2014
- Volcano Cliffs SDP – EPC Redline Draft Amendments 2014
Opportunities for Review and Comment
The VCSDP (Bill Number R-14-70) will be heard at the City Council meeting on Monday, September 15, 2014 at 5:00 P.M. in the Vincent E. Griego Council Chambers, located on the basement level of the Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Government Center, One Civic Plaza NW, Albuquerque, NM, 87102.
You may present comments verbally at the hearings and/or send written comments for inclusion in the file.
To submit written comments, please send them by Thursday, September 11, 2014:
Crystal Ortega, Clerk of the Council: [email protected]
Albuquerque City Council, P.O. Box 1293, Albuquerque, NM, 87103
- For information about the content of the Volcano Cliffs SDP, contact: Mikaela Renz-Whitmore, Planning Department, 505-924-3932 or Andrew Webb, Council Services, 505-768-3161.
- For information about the Council and LUPZ schedule and review process, contact: Crystal Ortega, Clerk of the Council, 505-768-3107.
The Volcano Cliffs Sector Development Plan was adopted by the City Council on May 2, 2011. The adopted plan can be viewed and downloaded here.
There are several ways you can look up your property to determine the zoning changed by the Volcano Cliffs SDP:
- Find your property in one of the following Unit, Block, and Lot Number Maps
- Visit AGIS Interactive Address Map
- Zoom to the area (Paseo del Norte & Universe Boulevard)
- Turn on "Lot Numbers" layer by clicking the circle
- Use the identify button (black circle with "i" in the center) to choose a parcel and find out its Unit, Tract, Block number
- E-mail Mikaela Renz-Whitmore or call 505-924-3932
Volcano Cliffs is one of three sector development plans being developed for the area referred to as Volcano Mesa. Each plan contains goals, policies, and regulations that address land use, transportation, and environment/open space.
- The Volcano Cliffs Sector Development Plan is south of Paseo del Norte and bordered by the Petroglyph National Monument to the east and Major Public Open Space owned by the City of Albuquerque to the west.
- The Volcano Trails Sector Development Plan is north of Paseo del Norte and west of Universe Boulevard.
- The Volcano Heights Sector Development Plan is north of Paseo del Norte and east of Universe Boulevard.
- Volcano Mesa Map - Three Plan Areas [1.96MB]
Volcano Cliff Units, Blocks and Lots