Councilor Dan Lewis is pleased to present the Volcano Cliffs Sector Development Plan (SDP), last amended in November 2014.
Mikaela Renz-Whitmore, 505-924-3932, Long Range Planning
Andrew Webb, 505-768-3161, City Council Services.
The Volcano Cliffs SDP is a Rank 3 plan, including goals, policies, and regulations, for an area of approximately 2,300 acres, located along the volcanic Escarpment of the City’s Northwest Mesa in the Volcano Mesa area. The plan envisions a village center with neighborhood-scale retail and services surrounded by the full range of high-quality housing options within walking and biking distance of these services and open space within the Petroglyph National Monument.
Update as of 11/3/14
On October 22, 2014, the Mayor signed text amendments to the Volcano Cliffs SDP. The amendments were published on October 31, 2014 and became effective on November 5, 2014. The City Council voted to approve the amendments on October 6, 2014. These amendments were first recommended for approval by the Environmental Planning Commission (EPC) on February 6, 2014. The Land Use, Planning, and Zoning Committee heard the amendments on August 13, 2014.
As originally intended, the Planning Department returned to all three sector development plans in Volcano Mesa after the Volcano Heights SDP was adopted in August 2013 to update the transportation network to be consistent among the three plans, as well as the Rank 2 West Side Strategic Plan Volcano Mesa amendment. In reviewing these plans, other minor items were also identified to be fixed, clarified, and/or adjusted to better meet plan goals.
The zoning map was not affected, nor were goals and policies changed. The text amendments include the following items:
- Updated transportation standards to be consistent with Volcano Heights SDP, including adding cross sections and access modifications from Volcano Heights SDP and Special Assessment District 228 and renumbering cross sections accordingly to include the full transportation network within Volcano Mesa.
- Clarification of the intent and required right-of-way for local streets at for different land uses and densities.
- Revised zoning standards regarding fences to address inadvertent errors and provide clarity.
- Removing a required setback from petroglyphs.
- Revised General Standards regarding residential garages and utilities to be consistent with the Volcano Heights SDP.
- Revised General Regulations regarding plant lists, color restrictions, and grading to be consistent with Volcano Heights SDP.
- Additional definition to General Regulations for significant rock outcroppings, which are called out in the calculation of density, to be consistent with the Volcano Trails SDP.
- Revised the plant list to be consistent with the Volcano Heights SDP.
- Updated language about fugitive dust to ensure the enforceability of the regulations and remove the exemption for public rights-of-way and public easements.
- Updated cross sections for Unser Boulevard to incorporate the multi-use trail on the east side.
The City will use the plan that was in effect on the date of your first development approval (typically either preliminary plat or building permit).
The original Volcano Cliffs SDP was adopted by the City Council on May 2, 2011 and can be viewed and downloaded here.
There are several ways you can look up your property to determine the zoning changed by the Volcano Cliffs SDP:
- Find your property in one of the following Unit, Block, and Lot Number Maps
- Visit AGIS Interactive Address Map
- Zoom to the area (Paseo del Norte & Universe Boulevard)
- Turn on "Lot Numbers" layer by clicking the circle
- Use the identify button (black circle with "i" in the center) to choose a parcel and find out its Unit, Tract, Block number
- E-mail Mikaela Renz-Whitmore or call 505-924-3932
- Contact the Bernalillo County Clerk to obtain the plat of the Special Assessment District (SAD) 227 or SAD 228:
Have questions about Special Assessment District 228?
- SAD 228 is managed by the Volcano Cliffs Property Owners Association. Contact Dave Heil, President, at 505-228-7189.
- Wilson & Company is the project manager for SAD 228. Contact Savina Garcia at 505-348-4000.
- City Treasury takes assessment payments. Contact Frances Gonzales at 505-768-3228.
Volcano Cliffs is one of three sector development plans being developed for the area referred to as Volcano Mesa. Each plan contains goals, policies, and regulations that address land use, transportation, and environment/open space.
- The Volcano Cliffs Sector Development Plan is south of Paseo del Norte and bordered by the Petroglyph National Monument to the east and Major Public Open Space owned by the City of Albuquerque to the west.
- The Volcano Trails Sector Development Plan is north of Paseo del Norte and west of Universe Boulevard.
- The Volcano Heights Sector Development Plan is north of Paseo del Norte and east of Universe Boulevard.
- Volcano Mesa Map - Three Plan Areas [1.96MB]
Volcano Cliff Units, Blocks and Lots