Translate Our Site

Office of Neighborhood Coordination FAQs

Below you'll find answers to your neighborhood and homeowner association questions.

What is the Solar Tax Credit and how do I protect my solar rights?

  • The New Mexico Energy Conservation and Management Division partners with citizens, businesses, industry, schools, universities and research laboratories to invest in clean energy infrastructure and to conduct clean energy programs.
  • SOLAR TAX CREDITS: The New Mexico Solar Tax Creditworks with the federal solar tax credit to pay up to 30% of your solar photovoltaic or solar thermal system. You can receive up to $2,000 in a federal tax credit and up to $9,000 in a state tax credit for your solar system. The Solar Gross Receipts Tax Deduction is a tax deduction for businesses from the sale and installation of solar energy systems. For more information on New Mexico’s solar rights click here.

What is the Neighborhood News?

  • Neighborhood News is an electronic newsletter, published monthly, aimed at keeping neighborhood and homeowner associations informed about the latest events, news and updates from the City of Albuquerque. It's free and available online at the Office Of Neighborhood Coordination web page.

How do I locate covenants for my home?

  • Contact the Bernalillo County Clerk's Office at (505) 468-1290, visit them at the City/County Building, 1 Civic Plaza, 6th floor or visit their website

What's the best way to keep my City Councilor Informed about what's going on with my association?

  • We recommend that you add your City Councilor to your newsletter mailing list. You can also give them a call to inform them about meeting dates and notices.

How do I update my association's contact information?

When are meeting reports due?

  • All unrecognized neighborhood associations, homeowners associations and coalitions are asked to submit a neighborhood meeting report annually in order to stay on our list as a active association. If you have not submitted your association's amended bylaws, please send a copy to our office.

When are annual reports due?

  • Annual reports for the month of January are due to the Office of Neighborhood Coordination by April 1, February reports are due by May 1, March is due by June 1, etc. As a reminder – we need the original Annual Report and a copy of the announcement of your annual meeting before your report will be approved for the year. 

Can my association place newsletters and/or flyers in mailboxes within the boundaries of our association?

  • If you have a question related to a mailbox or postage, it's always best to refer to the The U.S. Postal Service™ website. According to their site, “No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.” (Section 3.1.3 Use for Mail – DMM 508 Recipient Services). The key to this statement is in the term “postage” which is defined as: payment for a delivery service that is affixed or imprinted to a mail piece, usually in the form of a postage stamp, permit imprint or meter impression.

The President (or other officer) of my Neighborhood Association is showing favoritism to particular members and he/she is being untruthful. Can the City investigate and bring appropriate impeachment proceedings? 

  • If you have reason to believe an officer of your Neighborhood Association is engaged in misconduct, short of a crime, please refer to your bylaws. You may also refer to the advice of a private attorney to determine what remedies you have or what actions you can take regarding misconduct of an officer of your private organization.

The Treasurer of my Neighborhood Association refuses to show us the accounting books. We fear he/she may have embezzled our money. Can the City help? 

  • If you have reason to believe a crime has been committed, such as theft or embezzlement, call the Albuquerque Police Department right away. 

Does my Neighborhood Association have to follow the Open Meetings Act?; Do they have to legally follow Robert’s Rules of Order? Can you cite them? 

  • Neighborhood Associations do not need to follow the state Open Meetings Act, N.M.S.A. 1978, §§ 10-15-1 et seq., in order to be 'recognized' by the City of Albuquerque. In fact, the Open Meetings Act does not apply to private organizations, even if public officials are attending the meeting. You do not need to follow Robert's Rules of Order, 10th ed. (Cambridge, Mass.: Perseus Publishing, 2000), in order to be 'recognized' by the City of Albuquerque as a Neighborhood Association. However, following the state Open Meetings Act or using Robert's Rules of Order does not preclude a Neighborhood Association from being 'recognized' by the City of Albuquerque. The City's recognition criteria simply do not speak to these issues. If your organization’s bylaws state that your particular Neighborhood Association will follow Robert's Rules of Order, but the officers of your organization refuse to do so, there is nothing the City of Albuquerque can do about it.

Can my Neighborhood Association legally do _____________? Can the City make them stop? 

  • The City does not provide legal advice to Neighborhood Associations, gun clubs, book clubs, auto associations or any other private organization. When trying to determine how to run a particular organization, you must turn to the organization’s bylaws, the organization’s parliamentarian, or the organization’s own legal counsel for advice. However, the City is happy to guide any neighborhood association as to the legal requirements for 'recognition' as set forth in our ordinance. 

How do I find out which neighborhood association governs my property?

  • You may find out which neighborhood association governs your property by running a free address report at the City's GIS site.  This report will tell you the name of the neighborhood association, zoning category for your home, sector development plan for your home and more. You may also contact the Office of Neighborhood Coordination for updated contact information for the neighborhood association that governs your area at (505) 924-3914.